Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Starting from the beginning....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Starting from the beginning....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 03:11 PM
theMilkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting from the beginning....

Was hoping some of the veterans here could steer me in the right direction as if they were starting from scratch again. I have been reading through a couple of forums and gained a lot of information (so much that I don't know where to start!). I'm on a budget that the master of the house and checkbook controls so I can't go out and get everything at once but have assembled the below list in stages to better slip past the wife's radar and so she doesn't get the sticker price shock all at once. Please let me know what you think and add anything that I may be missing or need in that stage. Thanks in advance....

Stage 1:
Reflex Simulator (all i need is radio with this right? Comes with needed cables?)
Radio (Airtronics RD6000? Always been an airtronics guy way back in pan cars....or need a decent radio to start but will be able to handle CP in the future for logo, etc and have decent resale if I find that this just isn't for me.)

After a a couple months of practice or spring (whatever happens first, probably practice) and make sure that I want to invest in this:

Stage 2:
LMH Corona basic unassembled
Brushless Motor (Hacker)
Castle Creations Phoenix 35 ESC
Hitec 81 and 85MG servos
240 gyro
Lipoly cells and charger
crash kit

After i can truly fly...

Stage 3:
who knows upgrades to corona or logo maybe...
Old 02-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Starting from the beginning....

Simulator is definatly the right first step.

I'm not familiar with reflex, if it is anything like Realflight G2, it is the best money you can spend on this hobby.

I've flown a corona, just an opinion, but i didn't like it.

I guess i better get my absbestos suit on right away!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
theMilkman

This is a link from the guys on RunRyder for the update to reflex.

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t87676p1/

I am trying to decide which one to get but reflex seems like the better choice now anybody from here have it and compare it to G2?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:12 AM
ChopperMike

I'd have to agree with Spaceman Spiff. I had a Corona, it flies pretty good for a FP electric. But you could get a 30 size nitro for what you're going to spend on the Corona with brushless motor and LiPo's. Depends on what you want. If you're looking for something to fly where noise (or space) is an issue, get the Corona. If not go with a Hawk Sport.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 02:59 AM
FHHuber
Banned

If you go with the Hawk Sport... be careful putting the bolt n the engine to hold the fan on. All too easy to snap off one of the fan blades. Its not a defect in the fan... its in how the person holds onto it. A strap wrench would be really handy (one of the little ones Sears has) Make sure its on the main part of the fan casting, not on the blades.

Other than that... my Hawk has ben a great beginner's heli.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:53 PM
rotordoc

As with the others - go with the Hawk Sport after the simulator.