Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

counterclockwise spinning tail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

counterclockwise spinning tail

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
RC Punisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default counterclockwise spinning tail

I cannot hover because the tail is going counterclockwise, the servos are okay whether i turn left or right. I took my heli 10'' off the ground but the tail still goes counterclockwise. Counld someone tell me how to correct this problem.?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
lawnhawk

Default RE: counterclockwise spinning tail

Your gyro might be upside down, or your tail motor connected backwards.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
WoofDog

What heli and equipment are you using?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Could be your tail rotor is spinning backwards if your tail is belt driven. Could be your servo direction is reversed. Could be your gyro direction is reversed. Could be your tail rotor angle is not suitable, and heading hold is not enabled or have enough gain.....
Old 02-11-2004, 01:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also would guess the belt is on the front sprocket upside down or the gyro needs to be reversed.

What heli and gyro?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 PM
RC Punisher

I own a Hirobo Shuttle Sceadu 50 class, I'm using a SMM RATE GYRO;AVCS GYRO GY601.

Lawnhawk- could u please elaborate on what you were saying about the gyro? I'm going by the manual from the helicopter and doing exactly what it says...Could you tell me more specifically where the gyro is to be placed?

-thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 07:45 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The gyro needs to be located on a flat surface as close to level with the swashplate (with controls neutral) as possible. If it is mounted on its side its useless for rudder. If it is upside down it will try to speed up the rate of rotation instead of damp it out.

Turn the radio on (TX and RX) and hold the heli by the man rotor hub... turn the heli (as if using tailrotor) and watch the tailrotor. Does the pithchange with the LE going the direction of rotation (to aid it) or against the direction of rotation? (to slow it) If it tries to aid the rotation, the gyro is upside down 9Peiso) or programed wrong. If it doesn't try to interfere at all... the gyro is off, mounted sideways or dead.

It is also possible... you have the tail rotor linkages hooked up such that yo CAN'T get the picth changed enough to counter the rotation. (it would have to be WAY out...)

If you have a non-compueter TX handy... unplug the servos the non-computer radio would not have channels for... or plug the rudder servo into the non computer radio's RX. (verify the correct direction for stick movement) Set the trim lever for rudder FULL left. The tail rotor should be near no pitch. If its not.. you need to adjust the linkages.

(those 4 CH basic systems ARE good for something )
Old 02-11-2004, 10:39 PM
lawnhawk

Hi RcPunisher,
I guess I originally assumed you are flying a micro electric heli.

If your gyro has a reverse switch, you may need to flip the switch to the reverse position. But, if you have one of those gyros without a reverse switch, then the gyro direction is determined by which side is up when the gyro is mounted. That means if your tail is compensating the opposite direction it is supposed to, flip the gyro on its opposite side of how you have it now.

Now, if the gyro proves to be operating in correct direction, you may need to add some revo mixing. Check your manual for your radio. Increasing revo mixing will increase the amount of tail rotor applied when you raise the throttle/collective.