Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:54 PM
phil 844

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problem

i have a os 50 sxh and i have set the needles to the factory settings and when i run it , it pops and sounds rough
even when i adjust the main needle it gets no better
i am using coolpower 15 percent with a standard pipe
Old 02-16-2004, 01:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: engine problem

What do you mean by pops, like it is rich? How old is the engine?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 PM
phil 844

i am new to this game it has not got a sweet tone to it and it is hard to explaine but it sounds like a v8 engine
Old 02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Other usefull info would be:

When is it popping? At idle when you first start up? in flight?

What temperature is the engine running?

What exhaust? TT muffler? Zimmerman?

Mine makes some crackling noise with the MP2 pipe, but is perfectly smooth and quiet with the TT muffler.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
FLYBOY

Is there a flying club in your area? It would be good to take it to someone that knows what they are doing and have them see if there is a problem. Hard to tell you what to do with the info given. If there is a problem, you could be screwing it up running it. It may be normal though. Hard to tell from the description.

I would find someone close to you and have them help you check it out. Even if you have to drive an hour or two, it is cheaper than fixing a screwed up engine.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing that you are running the throttle at low settings (i.e. the first third of the travel). In whixh case, if it is the needle, it will be the idle needle. I can't tell you which way to turn it coz I can't see the engine. The only sure way would be to unscrew it (not too much this needle is quite sensitive, probably about half a turn) then try and start the engine. If it is worse screw it in a bit (1/6 turn maybe, or 1/4) and try it again. Keep doing this until it runs better. When it starts to show an improvement reduce the amount you change the needle to very small amounts.

If after the unscrew it runs better, unscrew it a bit more until it gets worse, then repeat the above. I know this sounds stupid but you want it running slightly rich to keep the engine cool.

If you are at hover throttle or above it is more likely to be the main needle. The above procedure can still be used. Obviously this is more tricky as the blades will be going around. Unless you have the model secured at a height that you can SAFELY reach under the model you will have to bring the throttle to idle and stop the blades before making adjuctments.

(NB. By unscrewing I mean richening, I don't know if unscrewing is richer for your particular engine idle needle but it normally is. It is definately true for your main needle)
Old 02-16-2004, 04:10 PM
phil 844

i must tell you that i bought the helicopter second hand
and it has no radio gear in it and i have been adjustihg the throttle by hand
just to make sure the engine runs and have only just had it running just over idle
does this make more sense
Old 02-16-2004, 04:22 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is the case, it might be better if you take the engine out of the heli and mount it on an engine test stand. Fit an aircraft propellor to it and run it from there.

If you accidentally go too far with the throttle, with it in the heli, then the clutch will bite. Unless you are holding on to the head really tight it might come out of your hand. If you've got the blades fitted then it may fly away! At the very least it will be really difficult to stop the engine.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
FLYBOY

I would have to agree with that. Wait till you get it all set up, or pull the engine. You can do more irreversable damage than it is worth doing what you are doing.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
phil 844

i have reved it up so the head just srarts spinning hence no blades fitted
do you think i have not gave it enough rpm
Old 02-16-2004, 04:48 PM
FLYBOY

You can over speed the engine and ruin both the engine and the clutch doing that. It isn't made to do it that way. I wouldn't keep doing it. Your just going to screw it up.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:49 PM
FLYBOY

it might be the clutch popping against the gears you are hearing too.