Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

copilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:09 PM
ilasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copilot

I am relatively new to helicopters but can hoover well and do figure 8's but get nervous when doing forward flight. I end up just doing not to big circles.
I have read that FMA copilot helps a lot in forward flight. I would like to know if this true and if it is, would it actually help me learn forward flight?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:24 PM
littlebird00

Default RE: copilot

iv heard from other people that thing is not good 2 have b/c sometimes it will move in the differntdirenction trying 2 fix itself and you dont realy get 2 have the experience of realy flying a heli theres a back up so you dont realy get 2 fly the heli most the time...thought that might help ....CHEERS.......
Old 02-19-2004, 08:10 PM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

the co-pilot works great for what you want it to do for you,just dont make it becaome a crutch for you.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 PM
rclover

Hi I would like to know how can i get my rc heli to hover
Old 02-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Rclover,

Even if everything is set up perfectly, it takes lots of practice. simulators are great for that. the chalange makes it rewarding. getting experienced local help helps a lot too.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:08 PM
HeliKing

ilasa,

I am also new in this hobby. I bought co-pilot and installed on my heli now.
Most of the time I just switch it off, because I didn't feel I am flying a real r/c heli when it is turned on, it is too easy. The heli become less flexible . In my opinion, the only advantage of having the co-pilot is when somehow you realy loose your control on the right stick, than the co-pilot will act as your safe line. Because by letting the stick on the center, the heli will try to position it level to the horizon.

I am learning this hobby alone, no experience pilot standing with me on my first flight ( and in fact I didn't use the co-pilot on my first 4 - 6 flight) well, I did few crashes but it is not really skill related problem, It rather "hardware" problem .

Other may have different opinion. But for me I regret my decission spending extra $ for the co-pilot.
Buy the sim .... it worth more.

rclover, I think the best think to learn to hover is to practice with simulator. On my first 3- 4 days I could not managed to make it stay, but after that... it is easy.. I am using real flight G2 with add on no 3.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:46 AM
scott36
My Feedback: (54)

if you want the co-pilit to be less graby ,turn down the thro on the senser ,this will help the feel of you flying the bird.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:43 PM
markfsanderson

Rclover,
As opposed to airplanes - the heli pilot MUST learn the most difficult part - hovering and transitioning in/out of hover - first. I've had my R50 v2 since the middle of Dec 03 (~2 months)and with all the bad weather have only had a chance to burn about 4 gallons. I'm still doing hovers, simple figure 8's, and so on. I'm taking it rather slow . . my pals at the field think me a bit conservative . . It just takes time . . . I've flattened and shortened the rotopod, but I still have a trainer on!
On a another note . . . Since I'm a full scale pilot, and have some idea about how a/c should respond . . . I used to be a big skeptic of PC based flight sims. I used the MS flight sim about 4 or 5 years ago and it sucked. 85 knot climb out from an airport, sea level, standard conditions, 800' alt above ground, 25 degree left bank to enter patern and we spin in . . . not on a Cessna 182! C172/182 are almost impossible to spin . . they will buck, cry and complain before a stall spin . . . I was finally convinced to buy the RealFlight G2 - and it is great! It has helped me quite a bit . . . The physics appear to quite good . . . It's worth the outrageous price . . .

Regards,
Mark F. Sanderson