Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What do I need to start flying ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What do I need to start flying ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Prophex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to start flying ?

First I'll introduce myself. [Warning: people with bad harts, don't read the following]
I hav never flown an airplane (except a simple electric one -> but it sucked hard), never ridden a (nitro based) car, never flew a helicopter, ... in my entire life.

And now all of a sudden I want to become a Nitro-helicopter pilot [8D]
And now the worst part: I don't know anybody who does it, don't know any clubs or anything. So, I don't got somebody to talk to and have to do it all by myself. (If it's any relief, I am planning on surching a club, where I can learn to fly, but building my helicopter is something I'm planning on doing all by myself.)

There you have it, If I'm not the biggest noob ...

But, this is a forum, and you have to ask a question or make a statment or whatever.
So here's my question:
Since I'm planning on building the helie all by myself, I want some advise on what I have to buy. That is why I made a complete list of what I (think I) need in order to get started: (remember, I'm a complete novice, so I need everything, from the parts to the tools)

- Raptor 30 V2 Sport Kit
- O.S. 30 SX-H with drive washer - HELI ENGINE
- Eclipse 7 Channel Transmitter, Spectra , Charger, Crystal
- Futaba GY401 with Heading Hold
- HS-422 Deluxe Servos, 7CH Receiver and Battery pack Pkg
(includes: 4 servo's, reciever, on/off-switch and battery [for the reciever and stuff])
- Wall Power Charger with connector
(to charge the battery for the reciever)
- 2x Cleanable Fuel Filters
- Remote glow plug adapter
- Fuel Tubing - Standard Size 1013
- Enya Glow Plugs
- JR Dual Conversion Transmiter Crystals
- Carry Master’s - Organization Plus
(includes: 4-way wrench , 3 liter fuel cell, glow starter/charger, 12v starting battery/charger, 12v HD starter, 12v fuel pump, recoil fuel tubing)
- High end ball link pliers
- Metric Hex Drive Set
(includes: 1.5mm / 2.0mm and 2.5mm drivers)
- Ikarus Special Grease w/ Injector
- Double-Slot Blade-Holder
- Digital Professional Dremel with Accessories
- Universal On-board Battery Checker
- Tool kit ( 67597 / 63180 / 67680 )
- Universal Pitch Gauge

This is all I got together (all from www.helihobby.com ), but haven't bought it yet.
So, coul somebody please tell me the following:

Is this list complete for a beginner and does every article work together with the others ? If not or if the list isn't complete, could somebody then please tell me what I have to change into what or what else I have to add to the list. (If you have to add or change something, could you then please choose a product from the site www.helihobby.com , since that is where I'm planning on purchasing everything.)

Whoever helps me out, ... to that purson I'm eternaly greatfull
(PS: please don't give me the advise of talking to somebody who knows something about it)

thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Temps

Default RE: What do I need to start flying ?

Everthing above seems in order for a begginer you will also need flight box and the heli youve got there will need 5 servos not 4 but most radios onlycome with 4 so youll need to buy another als get a good flight sim i use reflex this will save you a lot of money in the long run(in crash parts ) also not listed above is training gear youll need that too and a starter shaft if it dosent come with heli also a lot of patience also try this link www.modelhelicopters.co.uk and look under beginers and this link for the sim www.reflex-sim.de/
Old 03-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Prophex

thanks, that's indeed already a great help.

to reply to what you said. Maby I should have written it with it, but the gyro also includes the S9253 Digital Servo.
So I think I got 5 servo's.
Now, this is gonna sound really stupid, but could you please explain to me what the 2 other parts are that I need (flight box and starter shaft) Because english isn't my native language and I don't really know what that means exactly

But, if you say that my list is pretty much complete, then I'm set. I was indeed also planning on buying training gear.

So, a sim wil help me out in training ? ok, I'll try that
Old 03-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Temps

flight box is for holding your equipment ie fuel power panel for starter glow stick fuel pump etc starter shaft is a hexaganol shaft with a large round end to connect to your starter then the other end connects to your helis starter shaft but im not sure if you heli kit comes with this some do but if not the best one to get is a one way starter shaft this will ensure you dont start your heli in reverse here are some pics also this book help me a lot as ive also learned this dicipline on my own
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90627.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	106740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74898.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	106741  
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 AM
HeliKing

Prophex,

I was exactly in the same situation like you. no body to guide.
Now I can fly my raptor 30 V2. Regarding to you shopping cart here is my comment :
1. The radio : make sure you do not choose the complete package. I did buy eclipse 7 from helihobby. it came with 5 hitec servo, crystal, bat, charger, receiver.
2. Don't forget to buy the crash kit
3. Buy some spare of double link, 1-2 additional pair of blades, 1 additional tail boom. Unless you crash very hard, most of the part in the crash kit is not required except for the blade, tail boom and the double link.
4. This should be put as no 1 . Buy the real flight G2 simulator it is a must for some one like me and you !!!!
5. If the no budget constrain, buy also real flight add on vol 3 (you will get rappy heli there).
6. The training gear is very easy to make. Make one instead of buy. Refer to raptortechnique.com
7. I have the ray authoritative heli manual. If you are the one who is interested more than just fying the heli, buy it. it is only 19 US$.
8. I am having the one way fuel filling valve. It is very good and easy for filling up the fuel.

9. Buy the triangle rotring scale ruler from the stationary store. It is for the blade balancing.

10. Why you need to have JR dual conversin crystal ?

Good luck
Old 03-02-2004, 09:01 AM
HeliKing

I want to clarify what I mean with point no 1.
If you are buying the Hitec Eclipse 7 ch PartHH#232 from helihobby, you don't have to buy any servos, crystal, receiver , bats and charger. They are included in the package.

Additional, it is you choice, but don't you consider to buy cheaper gyro like GY240 ? it is heading hold and it is enough for beginner.
You will not loose much if you have hard crash.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM
HeliKing

Another additonal comment (sorry)
Check with other on-line store, you might find cheaper one, like www.heli-kraft.com.
It is only 3-4 days delivery to Abu Dhabi.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Prophex

thanks, I'll keep that all in mind.

But me too, I have some comments on your posts.
I'll even tell them in the same order you putted them:
1) I don't think the Eclips 7 that I want to buy includes all that. (I read this on helihobby: When you purchase a radio system for a Micro Heli, you will usually receive additional gear which you can’t use on your Heli. The gear includes a standard size Receiver, Servos and a 4 cell AA battery pack.

However, through our partnership with Hitec, you can purchase just the Radio TX and purchase the necessary Micro servos and micro receiver of your choice separately.) And the HS-422 Deluxe Servos, 7CH Receiver and Battery pack Pkg includes all the stuff you named. Zo I think that that must be the seperate package.
2) Yes, I will indeed buy the crask kit
3) I'll think of purchasing extra blades, but I don't really got money to spare. []
4) Also the flight simulator has already been added to my list. Thanks for that, didn't really think of it.
5) Ok, that's a little bit to much
6) Got it
7) It's also on my list now.
8) Ok, I don't really know what that means. But in order to fill up my tank, I got an electric fuel pump (is included in the tool box)
9) I added a Tool kit ( 67597 / 63180 / 67680 ) to my list (that includes stuff for balancing my blades., also got a Universal Pitch Gauge)
10) Well, isn't that the crystal I need for my reciever ? (I'm not that familiar with all the specific components of the helie)

And about the other site: I want to buy all my stuff from one chop. And I don't see everything from "the list" there, sow ...

Anyway, thanks for everything. It's a great help.
By the way, can I know how much you paid for everything you needed (from tools to the parts) ? All the items on my list now (there is already a new one, I will put it on the web soon) cost about 1300 €, that's I think about 1625 USD (if one Euro is 1.25 USD).
It's a lot, but I don't think that I got any other choise [&:]
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Prophex

another question, was it hard to assembly it Heliking, since you also didn't have anyone to help you ? Could you give me some pointers ? O yeah, and I'll upgrade my list above to what it is now.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:24 PM
WoofDog

[link=http://www.heliproz.com]www.heliproz.com[/link] is another site that you might look at.

For assembly look at [link=http://www.raptortechnique.com/index.html]http://www.raptortechnique.com/index.html[/link]
Under the "New Pilot Info" R30/50 Assembly manual is a step by step process to build a Raptor.