Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird Spins in a hover

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Hummingbird Spins in a hover

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 AM
seancorder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird Spins in a hover

I have had my hummingbird V.2 for 2 days now, and I can get it it a very short lift off and hover. The problem is when I try to get above 5 inches off the ground, then Helicopter spins to the left (nose turns left). I have a gws gyro, and I turned the gain all the way up. I know I could progress much faster if I did not have to also concentrate on countering the spin with the rudder. Shouldn't my gyro stop this? I can tell it stops the rotation on the ground, but when it leaves the ground...round and round it goes.

Help please :-(
Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Hummingbird Spins in a hover

Do you have a way to check your battery? It sounds like your battery is not fully charged. On my Hummingbird, when the battery gets down to about half charge, the tail will start to drift and the lower the battery gets, the harder it is for the gyro to hold it. I changed to a lithium battery and never looked back (definitely the way to go). If you have a battery cycler, you should cycle your battery three or four times, just to make sure you are getting a full charge. I'm not sure if that's your problem, but it could be.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
wisdom-seeker

If I recall correctly, a Hummingbird is a fixed pitch machine. Your problem depends on the gyro type. Is this a heading-hold gyro, or just a rate gyro. If it is a rate gyro, then you must set up and use REVO mixing on your throttle. REVO mixing adds right yaw correction as you increase the throttle. A rate gyro does not hold your tail steady, instead it just slows down any sudden changes in tail position that were not commanded.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
seancorder

It is not a heading hold Gyro, but I have a mixing board that comes with the hummingbird. My transmitter will not do revo mixing, but the transmitter they sell with the package (rtf kit) does not either.

I did a test, and at 3/4 throttle, and full right rudder, I can still feel the helicopter rotating to the left... WAY out powering the little motor. So up until 1/2 throttle or so, it does fine, then, there is no way to stop the spin.

Suggestions?

Sean
Old 03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
wisdom-seeker

It could be that your ESC is not giving enough power to the tail fan motor.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
seancorder

How can I solve that problem?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:03 PM
turkey576

Is the wire going from the bec controller reversed on the gyro. also check how the gyro is mounted(is ist acourding to direction) Also check your servo reversing and see if it is backwards. Hope this helps. I got the HB and mine will litterally shake itself to pieces. You have that same Prob?

Jon
Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 PM
syclic

Maybe with a little more info....as you mentioned having the GWS gyro (I am assuming you are referring to their PG-03...I have found they can be quite hit or miss) I must assume that maybe other parts of your electronics are not the standard fare that comes with the Century Hummingbird. Do you have the Century ESC mixer? What battery pack and what do your use to charge it?

How much time on the Hummer? Did you buy it new or used?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:03 AM
scottbla55

several things you have to check for.
gyro in correct position( manual shows). check for correct tail rotor rotation. mine was not correct so i had to reverse the channel on the transmitter. make sure the rudder connection from mixing board to gyro is connected correctly as you can plug it in the wrong way.
when battery starts to run low you will also have the spin problem. mine seems to do very well when fully charged.
paddles should be level with seesaw. as the instructions say, make sure servo horns are parallel to swashplate and frame. make sure paddles, swashplate and servo horns are parallel to each other and 90 degrees to the main shaft.
i have no vibration or spin.
l
Old 03-19-2004, 01:12 AM
raabid

No one has told you yet to use the tail rotor trim. The gyro gain won't fix this, put it back in the middle somewhere. Just keep clicking the trim the way the tail is going(nose in). It will eventually slow down to the point where you only have to bump over the throttle every 10-20 seconds. Mine normally sits around 20-30% right trim. It will still move on a rapid throttle jump, and it will start to drift as the battery runs down.

Two other things that have helped me, are one; taking the click positions out of the throttle(minor radio surgery, nothing complicated) and two; 2cell 1350 TP lipos! ~15 minutes flying times.

[email protected]