Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

mini heli

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
DigiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini heli

I was at a site not to long ago where they advertised a mini heli that could run in your home, they had a video and everything but for the life of me I cant remember the company.

PLEASE HELP[&:]

also I think it was a japanese company, I was thinking tamiya or kyosho, but I cant find it on there sites :^(
Old 04-24-2004, 03:54 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: mini heli

Lots of them are out now.

See the electric heli forum

Aerohawk is available at hobby-lobby.com (they have them backordered right now...)
Hummingbird is agvailable at centuryheli.com

there's a Dragonfly ad that pops up here...

There is also the Piccolo... and I am sure there are others that are free-flying-radio-controlled. then there's Hirobo's Llama which is tethered... (and then there's a $99 2-channel RC heli... which is essentially a toy waiting to crash...)
Old 04-24-2004, 02:42 PM
biggerswede

I bought my Aerohawk a few weeks ago. I would say that at least if you´re not already a skilled RC heli pilot your home must be more like a castle where you can use a rather huge empty room for training. I know that people once they learned to handle the little thing are able to fly in a living room but I still wish I had access to a school gym or something.
Learning to fly outdoors needs a VERY calm day.
These helis are so lightweight that the slightest gust will upset them.
I bought the Aerohawk because it was the cheapest way I could find to (hopefully) learn RC helis. So far I have crashed it into every piece of furniture in my rather small living room and into myself. Fortunately I have managed to avoid lawn-mowing the flower pots :-) (my gf would kill me) Broken a couple of blades and a tail rotor and fried a tail motor (they have a solid reputation for short life) Generally it can take a lot of abuse, including upside-down landings without damage.
I guess all the above applies more or less to all the small electric helis. They seem quite much the same. Don´t believe they are "almost ready to fly out of the box"! You will have some setup and fine tuning to do including possibly taking apart and sanding rough plastic parts to make the rotor head operate smoothly. Also don´t take blade balancing for granted!
Have fun!
I haven´t regretted my buy yet. If you learn to fly one of these you should probably have no problems with a big nitro or gas heli. They are much more stable and probably easier to handle.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:58 PM
biggerswede

A couple of good reasons not to start with a bigger machine are costs (obviously) and safety.
A small electric might give you some cuts and bruices but is unlikely to cause serious injuries. You´ll probably learn the hard way that it´s not totally harmless. (no spectators too close)
A bigger heli, regardless of its power source, is potentially lethal to you or anyone else within a large radius. You generally can´t play with it in the nearest park even if you know how to fly it.