Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

G2 or G2 lite?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 or G2 lite?

I'm looking to get a simulator and from what I read the G2 seams to be the choice.
I have seen where they offer a G2 lite version. Is this as good as the other or
do I need to spend the other 60 or 70 dollars?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nanuk
Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 PM

Default RE: G2 or G2 lite?

The lite version of G2 does not come with as many aircraft models. You also can't change as many parameters in the lite version. Go here to compare the two http://www.realflight.com/comparison.html

Dave
Old 04-27-2004, 08:35 PM

Thanks that helps a lot.

Nanuk
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Banned

G2 lite is all you NEED if you are using it to help learn basic flying skills. (even less expensive sims can do that too...)

Later if you want to use it to practice hovering a 3D style fixed wing model you will need the full version. Lite just won't do it right because you can't shift the CG and change enough parameters to trim the virtual model for 3D flight.

I haven't tried the more difficult 3D stuff with the helis on G2 lite... I doubt that it would do as well as the full version. It does fine for learning hover and basic forward flight and even some of the basic loops, piroettes and flips. I think you'd need a different virtual heli model to do anything more advanced.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and got the full version.
Been working with it about an hour now and have probably saved about a grand already.
I think in the long run it will more than pay for itself. I have almost got to where I can hover for 15 or 20 seconds before crashing.
Thanks again.

Nanuk
Old 04-29-2004, 04:10 PM

I've been flying the lite version for about three months and have just finished building my first heli (should be ready to fly this weekend).

I've thought about upgrading to the full version but I'm unsure its worth it. Does the full version allow you to change pitch/throttle curves or set up your radio different? That's my only real complaint about the lite version. It has everythink I've needed, except I bouth the add-on pack with the Raptor 30 and 60 in it.

One thing I did that has helped my flying a lot was to take the ratchet out of the throttle. I just flattened the lever that presses on the throttle/collective stick so there still is some pressure but no ratched feel.

Another thing that isn't mentioned anywhere about the lite is that it won't work with any of the additional downloads you can get from the realflight website (like planes, fields, paint schemes).
Old 04-29-2004, 06:30 PM

I think you will find that the full version does have some advantages if you want to use it to its full protential. Being able to to adjust every paramater for the heli is brillant. I have found that the stock heli are ok to fly and give you the finger practise needed to control a heli but once you start to fly a real one there is quite a large amount of difference between real and sim. After spending a lot of time on the sim and always making little adjustment here and there I now pretty much now have the same performance and characterisics as my own heli. Tie that in with using your own TX, its very close to flying your own heli and when you swap between real and sim you appreciate it. Yes you can adjust and contol all the pitch curves and adjust head speed etc etc on the full version. Once again being able to do this on the sim is great as it gives you an idea as to what will happen on the real thing without stuffing anything up. Being able to play with all of this stuff and doing it yourself also speeds up the learning process.