Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

beginner confusion with CCPM heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

beginner confusion with CCPM heli

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
wiredcur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner confusion with CCPM heli

Hi everyone,

I finally received my new heli in the mail yesterday. It's an E-Sky Honey Bee v2 that I got off eBay.

First things first...
The auction stated that I needed to buy a 11.1v Lith-Ion battery and charger. I asked HeliHobby for suggestions and purchased an E-Tech 2C 1200mAH and a Hobbico Charger. When the package arrived, I was a little surprise that the battery just had two wires coming off of it. Thinking about it though, it made sense. However, how do I know what kind of connectors I need so that I can 1) plug the battery into the helicopter and 2) plug the battery into the charger.

Aside from the battery issue...
I also bought a "F4" Mini Dragon Fly off eBay. It's the cheap knock-off that was being talked about in a different thread. It came with a 8.4V NiMH that has the connector I need. Well, knowing that this would underpower the E-Sky, I plugged it in anyway. Got some confusing results. I moved the cyclic control around (right stick on the Tx) and saw what I expected the rotors tilted in which ever direction I pushed the stick. When I pushed the trottle, the motor never started but the main rotor blades changed pitch. I was glad to see that since that was part of what I expected. For the first few minutes, the rotors never spun up. Now there are two switches on the top of the Tx, one labeled Trainer and the other was labeled 3D. As far as I could tell, flipping the Trainer switch (which is not an on-off switch, it's more like a push button) didn't do a thing but the 3D switch made a huge difference in the pitch of the main rotor blades. Still confused why the rotors wouldn't spin, I thought that there should be another button somewhere on the Tx to turn the motor on. No additional button. No surprise there. However, the next time I hit the throttle, the rotors started spinning. Very slowly, notch by notch, I pushed on more throttle. I got to full and no lift off. I pulled back on the throttle to stop. I hit the 3D switch cause I didn't know what else to do and the rotor spun up even faster but still no lift.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim
Columbia, MD.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:00 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: beginner confusion with CCPM heli

The auction stated that I needed to buy a 11.1v Lith-Ion battery and charger. I asked HeliHobby for suggestions and purchased an E-Tech 2C 1200mAH and a Hobbico Charger. When the package arrived, I was a little surprise that the battery just had two wires coming off of it. Thinking about it though, it made sense. However, how do I know what kind of connectors I need so that I can 1) plug the battery into the helicopter and 2) plug the battery into the charger.
first, make sure you read all the precautions regarding lipo batts. they WILL bite you if you are not careful and take the neccessary precautions. (bite you, as in burn down your house with you in it!) what got me concerned was 11.v and 2c 1200mah battery in the same paragraph, a sure recipe for fire, but after reading I see you got a hobbico instead. (someone can correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't this charger undercharge to 8.2 volts instead of 8.4?)

anyway, warnings out of the way, you can use any connector you want. most people use micro deans, but some stick with the stock JST connectors that come with some electronics. Just solder on any one you choose to use. (since you only have one battery and the heli, I would recommend going micro deans at this point, it is easier then converting everything later)
Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Deleted User

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 AM
wiredcur

I've got a Hobbico Dual Quick Field Charger. From what I read in the manual, it should charge the Lith-Ion battery that I've got.

I think I've discovered what my problem was with the helicopter. I was trying to use the 8.4V battery that came with my dragonfly knock-off. I read in another post that if the light on the Rx goes read, there's not enough juice.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:10 AM
SteveVag

Hi Tim,

I'm considering buying the E-Sky HoneyBee 2 myself, and would really like your opinion on the machine and heli radio once you get it running. It's the one with collective pitch and 6 channel transmitter, yes? Seems too good for the money they're asking, as cp machines with 6ch txes that I've looked into are normally much more expensive.

Steve V.
Newton MA