Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Are they really this fragile?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Are they really this fragile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 PM
fcabanski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are they really this fragile?

I've had two RC helicopters and flown each for about 4 times (about 15 minutes per time.)

The first, a Dragonfly purchased online, had the receiver burn out during the 4th flight. The receiver is now being sent back to the seller for replacement.

The second is a Hobby Source XR-1. After the 4th flight, the tail rotor no longer spun. (We popped in the battery for the 5th flight, and no tail rotor.)

So after two weeks I now have two disabled copters, both headed to the manufacturor or seller for repair. Are these that fragile?

Flight in this case means practicing, with trainers, with the skids a few centimeters off the ground and working on keeping the tail straight and moving forward and backwards and side to side. There have been no crashes, just training maneuvers.

If these things are this fragile and will constantly fail - $500 dollars so far spent on two helicopters that each lasted about three days - then I want out of this so-called hobby.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:24 PM
merlin3
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Are they really this fragile?

get a real helicopter like a nitro. I've got a jr venture and I'm learning on it and it's great.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
fcabanski

The helicopter is primarily for my father. He can't use a nitro because he has breathing problems and would have trouble with the fumes and chasing one around outdoors. He flies this in the garage, and on calm days outside in the cul de sac.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:10 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

How about the Shogun 400, I think it is a little more robust than the other "micros". http://www.heliproz.com/shogun.html

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

If you're just going to fly electric, buy the Hirobo little electric copter. I forget what the heck they call it, but it's on a 20 foot cord and the transmitter is on about a 10 foot cord. It flys very realistic and it's got foam blades. It's very durable!! I've landed that thing kinda hard, and it's fun to learn on. Just plug the adapter into a wall socket and you're in business until you get bored of flying! There's no batteries to replace.

However, one of the gears on mine keeps sliding to the top and it doesn't catch the main gear that catches to turn the blades around. I haven't figured out a way to fix that yet but I will!!

The thing sells for $350, unless you can find it cheaper. I saw one here on RCU with extra blades and stuff for only $100. That was a steal whoever got that one!!

Good luck!
Clinton
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Pops Racer
My Feedback: (1)

fcabanski;

The tail motors in most brands usually seem to have a very short life. This also depends on how much voltage you are putting through them.

My FP clone has at least 2 dozen+ flights and the tailmotor is still going strong. This is with the stock 7 cell NiMh pack.

The RX (by itself) on the other hand should NOT be subject to failures unless damaged in a crash.

The 3-n-1 and 4-n-1 combination boards however, vary widely in reliability from brand to brand. Low flight hour failures are reportly common.

There are many posts on the various message boards about which brands are more problematic.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Pops
Old 12-02-2004, 02:53 AM
fcabanski

$500 for eight total training flights doesn't work for me, that's for sure. Maybe I'll try to return this bum one and take my chances with the other once the receiver is replaced.