Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE!! HoneyBee 3d - problems charging li-poly battery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

HELP PLEASE!! HoneyBee 3d - problems charging li-poly battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 09:27 AM
mj_chips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!! HoneyBee 3d - problems charging li-poly battery

I am new to RC heli's and have just purchased an ESKY 3d for a Christmas present. Wanted to test before wrapping as I ordered over the internet from Honk Kong, I'm in the UK.

The problem - plugged wall charger (black 240v AC converts to 9v 350mA), e-sky li-poly charger together (red light indicating no battery) all appeared well. Connected 11.1v 1800mAh battery supplied and again appeared to be charging, both red and green lights on charger illuminate. Returned to charger approx 30mins later and both lights flashing. No output from AC to DC wall adapter. Unable to gain any response from supplier apart from return wall adapter to Hong Kong (cost makes no sense) so I purchased another locally (different manufacture but same ratings). Got shop to test it woth li-poly charger and battery all appeared well. Guess what after looking fine after about 20 mins the wall charger has blown, no out put.

Thus I have a useless Heli, no practical support from supplier and Christmas looming. Any suggestions on a possible causes and fix here would really be appreciated. I used to have electric R/C car (Tamiya BAJA!) as a kid but that was 25 years ago so be gentle please!

Are there any affordable mains driven 11.1v 1800mah capable chargers available in UK anyone can recommend to replace all I have been supplied?

Could it be the battery? - battery gives correct polarity and voltage readings when tested?

(New info....... having spoken to someone they advise that the type of AC to DC wall adapter supplied will never work as it is has too low an out put they recomend Perkins ultra power with 10amp ability and cooling fan - this sounds plausable but surley all HoneyBee 3d would be blowing wall chargers?)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJ
Old 12-04-2004, 04:48 PM
tanasit

Default RE: HELP PLEASE!! HoneyBee 3d - problems charging li-poly battery

Mine has output 12.6 at 1 Amp. This is the 110 V AC system that came with it and used to charge the 1800 mAH 11.1 V lithium for a week with no problems.
I think it should rate at 1 Amp. My slow charge one rates at 400 mAH though. I am not sure why yours kept blowing the charger. While charging, is the pack getting warm up at all?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:15 PM
mj_chips

Battery didn't seem to get warm. Have now charged Li-poly by connecting Esky charger directly to 12v car battery and after approx 2hrs shows as fully charged.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:23 PM
jimberoo

I'm probably talking complete crud (i'm a complete newbie) but I noticed you said li-poly. The battery i got was a li-ion. Early days but using a shaving adapter (plug is US) I don't seem to have any problems.

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about batteries
Old 12-23-2004, 03:59 AM
mj_chips

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm so newbie have yet to even give the Heli as present to my son for Christmas yet.

Li-poly is to my understanding a slightly more volatile rechagable, main benefits is that it can offer higher discharge rates for motor demands eg. upside down flying etc., also can be moulded to different shapes and forms easily. You'll see an increasing number of phones and mobile PC's using this technology to make max use of space.

I've come to conclusion that the charger I was supplied just had far too low an output, li-poly just drew too much current, supplier in Honk Kong has admitted that some they supply to UK work and many don't! He is supplying an alternative, 2 weeks on and not arrived yet.

I have therefore baught an AC-DC supply with 10A capacity and fan so hopefully this will fix things!

To Be Continued...