Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

A little help on selecting a heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

A little help on selecting a heli

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
SunDragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help on selecting a heli

Hello to everyone. Im looking to get more into the heli scene, and would like a little help selecting a new heli. I recently bought a piccolo FUN, and its not been FUN. The first thing I realized is that I dont have the space to fly it indoors, or more over learn it indoors, so I have been hovering it mildly sucessfully outside on calm days (few and far between). So, id like to sell it and move on to something that I can fly outdoors more often, and exibits a more stable hover. I refuse to fool with a gas powered heli this early in. Im still flying in the backyard, so the neighboors wouldnt like it, and the few gas airplane engines I have fooled with have been a pain. Also, readily available spare parts is a must.

So, initialy this leads directly to the lite machines corona. Seems nice enough, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there comparable to it that I should be thinking about?

My corona buy list so far looks something like this:

basic corona kit
atomic force motor
pegasus 35r esc
2 hi-tec 81 metal gear servos on the cyclic
1 hi-tec 81 nylon gear on the tail
hi-tec electron 6 reciever
Hi-tech eclipse 7 TX, or Futaba 7C

I have a bunch of 2000 6 cell car batterys laying around. While I realize that 7 cell 2400 batteries are recomended, are there any reason I cant use these with the corona untill I can pickup some new 7 cells?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 PM
nitroflyguy

Default RE: A little help on selecting a heli

ok first off nitro engines arent hard and from what ive been hearing ( Im new to helis myself) its tune it once fly all year, with a little help you'd be fine, secondly elctric helis are much harder to fly than gas probably because nitro burners are heavier hence more stable, and to answer your battery question the reason you cant use a 6 cell is because its 7.2 volts where the model asks for an 8.4 volt (7Cell) the heli probably wouldnt even operate and also i wouldnt fly indoors anyway cuz thats a good way to kil your heli if u crash not to mention put a hole in the wall from the blades, id suggest a Raptor 30 V2, they seem to be easy enuff to assemble and adjust and as u advance in the hobby you can change the setup till it flies 3D, also another note on electric motors, i have car experience and the better the motor the more work it needs ( Every 10 runs change the brushes and put the armature on a lathe and true the Commutator UGH!) so gas would be better besides that longer flight/fun time and DEFINETLY get a Simulator Realflight G2 is best Hope this is of some help to you
Old 12-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Ive flown a corona before, it is OK, but not something i would describe as stable. It is a fixed pitch heli so you go up and down by speeding up or slowing down the rotor head so there are significant delays in getting it to go up or down. A nitro heli will cost a bit more and will have some learning required, but the performance is so much better and the heli much easier to learn to fly, that i would encorage you to spend the extra $ to get a good nitro, and take a trip out to a field to fly.

if you do go nitro, avoid the TT 36 or 39 both are notorious for problems (although many do run fine) the OS 37 or OS 50 tend to be set it and forget it engines always provide plenty of power and stay nice and cool.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
tanasit

I'd try the 6 cell in hand before buying new 7 cell one. It may hover at almost full throttle??