Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Honey Bee 2 or DragonFly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Honey Bee 2 or DragonFly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:57 AM
port107

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honey Bee 2 or DragonFly?

Greetings all.. I have spent the last couple hours online reading about rc helicopters suited for the beginner. I understand larger models are easier to fly, but I'm trying to keep the investment in check, until I decide if RC helicopters are right for me.

I am planning on buying a sim, probably RealFlight G2. Not sure how it compares to FMS, but since FMS is free, I am assuming it can't be as good. (You get what you pay for?).

Anyway, my dilema is this. I was going to buy the Honey Bee 2. I've found it online for under $200 and shops within the US sell replacement parts for it which is important to me (as opposed to searching Chinese websites for replacement parts). My concern is a lot of poeple comment on the tail rotor/motor burning out. Due to this I've also looked at the DragonFly which many say is as good, but without the tail motor. From pics of the model, it too has a tail motor though. I am wondering what input those who are more experienced (that'd be everything on the planet I think), might have regarding this issue.

If ya'll have other recommendations on models to check, I'd be open to that as well.

Thanks for your time.

Jason
Old 12-05-2004, 07:30 PM
gerards2171

Default RE: Honey Bee 2 or DragonFly?

I have the honeybee 2. It wont even lift off . I have more fun and luck with the Honeybee. The first one. The best price so far was from e-bay buy it now. The parts are available from Hobby Lobby.com. After spending countless hours trying to find the problem with this helicopter I discovered that the swishplate was separated right from the box. I tried to epoxy the parts that are joined. It turns great now and seems to be working. Im not happy with the battery they ship.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
tanasit

Well, not so in my case. My HB 2 CP flies beautifully even though I had to adjust the Gain and proprotion several times so that it will even hover hand free for few seconds. I like the simple but yet effective design with many carbon fiber parts. Mine came with 1800 mAH lithium pack and it lifts off at about 3/4 stick with training gear attached.
So far, I had about 15 flights with the same mortors. I only flew outdoor once with simple circuit like tail in circle, figure 8 in front of you. Another modification I did was removing the stock rotor blade sticker cover and replacing it with the clear heat shrink tube which is smoother, lighter (no glue) and stronger.
I am very happy with it.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 PM
port107

Ya, I've been asking around and it was recommended to me to stay with the Honey Bee (4CH) versus the 6CH at least for a first model. I am focussed on the Honey Bee (1) now. I like that over some of the others I've seen online since it's sold by Hobby-Lobby and I can get parts easily.

Thanks for the info.

Newbie / Jason
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 AM
flyboy1299
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Gang, I too bought the Dragon fly and I need ALL the info I can get on it. I am a newbie who knows doodle(I think) Can anybody steer me to some learning info on this chopper?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 AM
NYHOB

ORIGINAL: gerards2171

I have the honeybee 2. It wont even lift off . I have more fun and luck with the Honeybee. The first one. The best price so far was from e-bay buy it now. The parts are available from Hobby Lobby.com. After spending countless hours trying to find the problem with this helicopter I discovered that the swishplate was separated right from the box. I tried to epoxy the parts that are joined. It turns great now and seems to be working. Im not happy with the battery they ship.

I got one from www.hobbyjapan2000.com with the 1800mah li-ion battery and it is flying good - I got 18 minutes flying time with that battery.

I think you should check the battery and see what size is that. You need the 11.1V may be 1200 mah or up is better
Old 12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
port107

You probably are aware already, but the majority of folks I hear from tell me the best way to get familiar is 1) Find a pilot and have them show ya or 2) get a sim.

I just ordered Real Flight G2.

Good luck to ya.

Jason