Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Piccolo V2 for a beginner???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Thoughts on Piccolo V2 for a beginner???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:43 AM
NoDamnWay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Piccolo V2 for a beginner???

After doing a bit of research I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Piccolo V2 for a beginner. I've never flown before at all so this would be my first heli. I intend to fly mostly indoor, and outdoor as well from time to time, weather permitting. I'm under the impression it's a good idea to get something that can be upgraded from FP to CP, which the V2 can be. I also like the fact that it comes with flightsim software, and that Ikarus has a pretty good promotion on it right now. Input from anyone the knows about or has experience with the V2 would be appreciated. I'm also wondering how much flight time can be expected from the standard battery pack, and if anyone can recommend any specific battery/charger upgrades that would allow for longer flights. It doesn't seem like anyone just buys a heli and leaves it alone, so what can I expect to be getting myself into?? Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Thoughts on Piccolo V2 for a beginner???

A micro heli is not the best heli for someone starting out, they are very unstable. Just because they are small doesn't mean they are essayer to fly, in reality they are harder to fly (very unstable). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't learn to fly with a micro heli, I'm just saying it's not easy.
Having said that, there are micro helis out there that are collective pitch, you don't have to buy a fixed pitch and upgrade it (that just cost more money doing it that way). Any micro heli you get is going to need some tweaking here and there to make it fly right, I have never seen or heard of one that didn't need some tweaking (they all have there little problems).
As for flying time, they say 10 to 15 minutes with the stock battery, but it's more like 7 or 8 minutes if your lucky. Lithium batteries are definitely the way to go, it will double or triple your flying time if you get a good one. I put a 7.4 volt, 2100mah lithium battery in my Hummingbird and I am getting about 20 minutes of flying time. A good, cheap to buy charger would be the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MKll, it will charge 1 to 3 cell lithium batteries, plus it will charge your NiCd and NIMH batteries.
It doesn't seem like anyone just buys a heli and leaves it alone
A heli is like anything else you buy, you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap heli, you get a cheap heli. Most micro helis are cheap to buy, but by the time you tweak them (buy this and buy that) and buy a good battery and charger and God knows what else to get it to fly right, you will be very surprised how much money you have tied up into it when your done. Contrary to what people believe, micro helis aren't cheap.
so what can I expect to be getting myself into??
I hope I give you some idea of what your getting into, I'm not trying to scare you away, I'm just telling you the way it is. When or if you get into helis, you will have a ball, it's a lot of fun once you learn how to fly.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
iosolutions

I can't argue w/ any of that..

My first, and second, were/are Piccolos.(pre V2). They are awesome - I have no desire whatsoever to upgrade to CP. I have, however heavily modified both with everything you can think of including Orion Elite motors and Hornet blades. These two mods made a very big difference. I am into my piccs for at least $500 each at this point. Not counting many repairs over the years - battery charger ($100), and countless other stuff including two other new helis I bought recently and lots of planes. It adds up FAST!!

I do have one serious comment for you. Unless you are far more coordinated than I am (and obviously many people are) you will not be able to learn to fly the Picc without learning first on the simulator. I remember how excited I was when I saw the first ad for the Pic and "so easy a beginner can fly it in his living room". That is just pure Bull$%&!. I was quite upset when I found out the truth - but fortunately, I stuck with it. I have heard of countless others who learned without a simulator - but it was impossible for me. And I do have all my fingers and thumbs and am not THAT uncoordinated. So I do suggest you plan on LOTS of simulator time. You should be able to hover perfectly on the simulator before you even think about powering up your Picc.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:16 AM
NoDamnWay

Thanks for the input guys. Charlie, if you don't think a micro is a good way to start out, what alternatives in your opinion are better suited for someone with no heli experience?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I have the Piccolo V2 and it is great and I have only been doing it for about two months now.I purchased the complete kit from Hobby Lobby.com.The thing with the sim is also true I have had the sim for about a month before I got my pic and it helped allot.Because I have spent so much time on the sim my first attempt at hovering went off without a hitch also the sim gives you a basic lesson on how to trim out a helicopter.Three months ago I have never touched a heil only two years of monster trucks and because of my sim and my V2 I can now hover and do it fairly well.Also I am 50 years old so if I can do it anyone can do it.The V2 kit comes with lipo battery's and everything.Also for collective pitch don't be in a hurry you have to crawl before you walk but don't start with one they would cost you a arm and leg to fix after a crash were a V2 will not and I have first hand experience on that.But if you want to see a great collective pitch heli look in the picture gallery at my custom Trex I have waiting in the wings when I get really good at flying these things.Here is the link http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...mberId=83983.;)
Old 12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Charlie

My personal opinion, a 30/50 size nitro is a lot better to learn with. They are a lot more stable, but to get the stability, it will cost more. You can get a 30 size heli pretty cheap and they are cheap to fix when you crash, and you will crash (everyone does). A 50 size heli will cost a little more then the 30, but you get a little more stability then the 30 and a lot more power. The good thing about the 50 size heli is, you will never out grow it. A 50 size heli will take you right from learning, right into 3D flying. In my opinion, the 50 size heli is the best bang for your buck.
I personal think you would learn to fly a 30/50 size heli a lot quicker then you would a micro heli (but that's just me).
A simulator is the first thing you wont to get, if you have the money. Simulators are worth there weight in gold. You will not believe how quick you can learn to a heli if you practice on a simulator first. There are a lot of good simulators out there. Personally, I like Reflex XTR, it looks and flies just like the real thing, the only downfall is, you have to have your own radio to run it, but if your going to get into helis, your going to buy a radio anyway.
Anyway, I'm starting to babble. Good luck with what ever heli you get, your going to have a ball, it's a great hobby

Old 12-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Flaps2012

Amen on the simulator. It took me guite a while to learn how to hover, and then there was nose in... fun stuff. I have been flying for 6 years and have an old CSM sim. I still use it religiously. I think I fly the stinking sim more than I fly my Ergos. I'm looking forward to upreading to the G2 or G3, if the G3 ever gets any Helis on it