Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Prepping my Shuttle/Challenge for flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Prepping my Shuttle/Challenge for flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 AM
MimsK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping my Shuttle/Challenge for flight

Just about have every thing setup and trimmed reasonably well. A few problems I've been struggling with are as follows:

1) JR G410T gyro- Servo creeping even if I set "Travel Adj" to try and limit things. The gyro drives the servo right past the limits. I've also seen it cause the Heli to unexpectedly rotate 90+ degrees while light on the skids. I'm not sure what to make of this!

2) I’m also considering installing the FMA-direct co-pilot- seems like a good idea to me.

Other than that, I think it's ready to go! My setup consist of Hirobo/Shutle, JR XP8103DT,JR PR770,537 servos,G410T gyro,Enya .35. Sub trims are zero, Pitch curve is also default

Can someone explain or point me to information that explains how to setup and what to expect from gyro operation? I've read mostly all the old threads and have gathered some good info but am still unclear why the servo creeps sitting still while it's on the ground. The JR documentation says this is normal and is easily corrected with a Sub trim value of 6-7. I've tried those values and they won’t stop the creeping. Maybe I should ignore it and see what happens in the air? I just want to be very thorough with my ground checks.

I'm also looking for opinions about the FMA Co-Pilot setup. And if there's anyone out here that's local to me and wants to help a newbie, lets talk ([email protected]).

Thanks

Kelvin
Tracy CA
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Charlie

Default RE: Prepping my Shuttle/Challenge for flight

I've also seen it cause the Heli to unexpectedly rotate 90+ degrees while light on the skids. I'm not sure what to make of this!
Have you tried turning up your gain?
Does it spin really fast when it starts to gets light on skids? If so, you have your gyro reversed. Reverse your gyro, that should fix the problem.
As for the co-pilot, that's to each his own. I have read go things about them and I have read bad things about them. Personally I wouldn't use one, but that's just me. In my opinion, that is just something else that can go wrong, plus it is just a crutch. Once you get use to it, it will be hard to give it up. If you ever get into 3D flying you wont be using it. The thing that make good pilots is burning lots of fuel and practice, practice, practice, not some gadget that helps you fly.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Charlie

I've read mostly all the old threads and have gathered some good info but am still unclear why the servo creeps sitting still while it's on the ground.
I just read your post again and I forgot to address this. That is normal for a heading hold gyro when it is just setting on the ground or on the bench, it is basically looking for a command. Once you spool the heli up it wont do that (or it shouldn't).
Old 12-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Charlie

I've read mostly all the old threads and have gathered some good info but am still unclear why the servo creeps sitting still while it's on the ground.
I just read your post again and I forgot to address this. That is normal for a heading hold gyro when it is just setting on the ground or on the bench, it is basically looking for a command. Once you spool the heli up it wont do that (or it shouldn't).