Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Can Futaba T6XA manage a Raptor?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Can Futaba T6XA manage a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Jack Skip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Futaba T6XA manage a Raptor?

I need a little help with a radio I may use for a Raptor Heli.

I have an older Futaba T6XA that I fly 3D planes with. No expo, but lots of mixing. A great plane radio for how I like to fly.

It also has Heli functions and it may be able to save me some dollars if I can use this radio for a heli. How can I find out if this radio will have enough functions to fly a Raptor?

Totally new to helies, so I need help.

Jack Skip
Pro Bro #1208
Flyin' Hard and landin' soft
In Abaco Bahamas
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
okw

Default RE: Can Futaba T6XA manage a Raptor?

Jack,

I have a 6XAS that I used to fly my heli's (both mechanically mixed and CCPM) for a couple years and it worked fine. I ended up getting a 9C to have better control of the throttle and pitch curves once I got into doing more aerobatics; although the 6XAS will work for some loops, rolls, etc. I'm not sure of the differences between the Super and your older 6XA, but your radio should work very well for you while you're learning. If you have a light touch on the sticks (I'd guess that you do if you fly 3D planes), then the expo won't be that important. I don't use it at all.

I'd suggest saving your money for fuel and a sim (if you don't already have one) and get the new radio once you're well into fast forward flight.

Good luck,
Keith
Old 12-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Charlie

Like okw said, it will work great for learning to fly helis, but it's no good for 3D flying. The problem with that radio is, when your inverted and in idle up, you only have 60% of your throttle. Once you flip the heli over you have very little room for mistakes, it will hover inverted, but it has very little climb out rate, and if you give it to much pitch, the motor will fall on it face (bog down), so you have to have your pitch setup right when your in idle up (inverted). That radio has no pitch/throttle curves, so you have to set your pitch with your ATV's. If your looking to get into 3D flying, you definitely want a new radio.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 AM
okw

I can get to 100% throttle in Idle Up on my 6XAS, but the mid-stick point is then very high (probably over 60-65%). Is that one of the differences between my Super and the older 6XA? I would have thought that it could also get 100% throttle in Idle Up.

Keith
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Charlie

That must be the difference, I never had the super, I had the T6XA and I couldn't get 100% in idle up when inverted. I used that radio for about a year.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 AM
dan.

could you not just use a governor?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Charlie

Possibly I guess. I have never used a governor, so I'm not sure how you set them up. My opinion is, if your going to buy a governor, you just myswell buy a new radio (you should have pitch/throttle curves anyway), and the T6XA doesn't have them.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:49 PM
okw

I had thought about the governor also, but I don't think it will work with a 6 channel radio. I don't use a governor either, so I'm not positive how they are set up. But if you have a gyro with remote gain adjust, you have already used up all of your available channels, so I'm not sure how you would tell the governor when you're in idle up as opposed to normal mode.

Keith
Old 12-12-2004, 06:09 AM
dan.

well you would have to sacrifice remote gain on the governor and just have 1 headspeed for both modes. far from ideal,but it is possible.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Jack Skip

Thank you all. Looks like a new radio would be wise.

From simming, I find CP heli's much easier to handle. More responsive than FP models. So better radio is on my wish list.