Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Shuttles

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Question about Shuttles

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 11:47 AM
MimsK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Shuttles

I have the Shuttle Challenge and I'm wondering where it belongs in the Shuttles family tree. Is it closer to the Z, ZX, ZXX or is it a one off?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
polstery

Default RE: Question about Shuttles

its a Z
Old 12-11-2004, 09:13 PM
MimsK

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.

km
Old 12-17-2004, 01:16 PM
MimsK

One thing, My Challenge has black landing gear and the shaft start system. Doesn't this make a ZX or ZXX?

KM
Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 AM
polstery

Ok now your getting funny, the color of the gear in no way improves proformance, although some might think so. the diff. in the models has to do mostly with the bearing count. YOU HAVE A Z.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
MimsK

Ok, I guess you can call it wishfull thinking but I saw this [link=http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/6951/faq.htm]Table[/link] and started wondering. That's all, wasn't trying to be funny.

KM
Old 12-20-2004, 05:57 AM
steve69

You have probably got the Z-TS (top start) which was the slightly later version of the ZX, the colour of the landing gear is irelivent as it may have been changed at some time in it's life as your heli is probably around 8 - 10 years old.

Whilst the table you posted to is a reference guide it does not list all the available models, I think there were 8 or so in total.

Can you post a picture of your machine as that would tell me a lot. (I have three shuttles and a raptor 50)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:30 PM
MimsK

In response to the above. I susppose I could've bought some really old inventory, but I bought it brand new in the box from my LHS "Sheldons" in 2001. I've been the only owner and the landing gear hasn't been changed. I posted the pictures here.

KM
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM
okw

I'd probably agree with Steve ... the Challenge is most like a Z-TS.

The Z didn't have boom supports. Neither the Z nor the ZX had top start or that canopy. The frame and fuel tank are also newer than the Z or ZX. One thing the Challenge has that is similar to the Z is the lack of bearings on many control arms. Unfortunately, this is the one thing that has the most to do with the flying characteristics of the heli. []

By the way, I see that you are missing a screw in your throttle servo. I suppose if you were to have a servo come loose, the throttle servo would be the least critical. [X(]

Keith
Old 12-21-2004, 05:31 AM
steve69

Sorry if my post sounded like I was saying you have old stuff, I didnt mean it that way and should of been clearer.

The range of shuttles yours falls into started around 8 - 10 years ago but they are still being made and sold today as the Shuttle Plus

Yours is definatly closest to the Z-TS. It does have a lack of bearings as mentioned and uses bushings instead, if you feel like upgrading them to full bearings DONT buy the Hirobo bearings as they are incredebly over priced, there are plenty of places in the US that sell small bearings at the propper prices (unfotunatly I live in the UK so cant be of much help there)

I got rid of all the Z-bend control linkagas for ball links and upgraded to full bearings on my first shuttle, made it much smother and more precise, I then went a bit mad and went for a load of Quick UK alloy swash and head parts cos I just cant help myself when it comes to a bit of Bling!