Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What percentages you using with Futaba 7C?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What percentages you using with Futaba 7C?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:02 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What percentages you using with Futaba 7C?

I just got a Raptor 30 and I won a Futaba 7C. I had a guy get everything up and set up and stuff. Well, I was trying to set up a throttle cut in heli mode but it wouldn't work. To make a long story short, I went to plane mode, and everything got erased. I'm just wondering what percentages you are using for the Rappy or any helicopter and this Radio.

I guess you could tell me the pitch degree readings also. I just picked up a pitch guage and I guess the pitch reading you guys would suggest would be helpful. Thanks alot.

BTW, also what is your engine setting (percentages??)....speaking of engine, I guess I could mention I am using a OS 32......

~Michael~
Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 PM
okw

Default RE: What percentages you using with Futaba 7C?

Oh man, that bites! I hate to hear that. Unfortunately, the percentages used for the pitch and throttle curves are dependent upon the mechanical setup and are different for every heli. The best thing would be to get someone to help you again. If there is no help available locally, these settings should get you close, but will need fine tuning at the field.

If the Raptor is your first heli, you should set the normal mode pitch curve to be -1 or -2 degrees at the bottom, around +5 at mid-stick and +9 or 10 at the top. These settings will take you through basic circuits of slow forward flight. I'd keep the Idle Up's inhibited for now.

As for the throttle curve, start with 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100 and then adjust them to give you around 1500rpm headspeed from mid-stick on up. If you don't have a tach to check the speed, you should pick one up or at least try to borrow one. The easiest and safest way to check the headspeed is on a test stand where you can run the heli to full throttle while securely tied down. I've even tied mine to a banister in the past. Just keep your head down.

Again, trying to find an experienced pilot to help would be the best course of action. Even if you have to drive a fair distance to get help, it will be very beneficial (and cheaper!) in the long run.

Good luck,
Keith
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
rusirius

Yes, I agree, at the very least you'll need a pitch guage, a tach, and a good solid plank to strap that puppy down with.. Okw is right on with the pitch settings, though i personally wouldn't recommend going over +9 on the top, and even for a beginner I prefer to see a head speed of around 1600-1650 RPM... The other pilot should have, but don't take it for granted... Make sure all your linkages are square... You'll be able to tell that by "resetting" your ATV's... Pull a link for say the elevator... Push it all the way in one direction and adjust the ATV so the servo matches... Then do the same for the other side... You want the ATV numbers on BOTH ends to be within about 5% of each other... If they aren't (i.e. you have 95% on one end, and 120% on the other, then your linkage isn't square.. You need to lengthen or shorten it to get it right... Once it's right you'll get close (i.e. 99% and 102%)... This makes sure everything stays nice and linear throughout... Then go ahead and set your pitch curve (by using the pitch gauge), and then strap that puppy down and set the throttle curve to get your headspeed throughout... A lot of people will scream and shout about strapping it down.. Just make sure it's VERY secure, and keep your appendages out of the blades... Also, never get near it with the blades spooled up... Hit the throttle hold and wait till it spools down before making adjustments to the needle valve... Throttle curve adjustments can be made anywhere... The head will hold up just fine under the stress... (honestly there's more stress put on it in a lot of 3D manuvers than what you'll be putting on it here). Just use some common safety sense.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
iflynething

It's all alright though. I do have someone in the area that could help me out and set everything up, but I was hoping to take it down to my moms before Christmas so she could see it fly, so I just didn't want to bother that other guy that was helping me out set everything up. I might be able to go this week or something and see if he will help me out. I might not get to fly anyways because I had to send in my 401. I couldn't ever get the light to stay steady when in heading hold, and then go out when I go to normal. I don't know what's wrong. So I sent in that and also my starter. I don't know what happened to that one either.

But, I picked up a pitch guage a few days ago, but I have to wait until Christmas to get it. I also got a tach that I also have to wait till christmas to get that.

I will hopefully be able to borrow a gyro from that guy, and be able to fly....just until I get the other one back. For right now, I'm just using a drill to start the helicopter. It's working alright for now.

Well, thanks for the help, and if I need to set it up myself, then I'll use those numbers. I guess what really helps is that I know the pitch numbers. That's really all I need

Thanks alot

~Michael~