Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Bought Humming Bird

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:50 PM
AceCobra1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought Humming Bird

Hi,

I am a newbie to the rc heli universe. Anyway, just bought a humming bird on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT . My 3rd heli but yet to fly one yet ! The reason being 1, I have never flown a heli and I thought getting a hornet which I bought about 2 years ago was a good idea to start ! How wrong was I... Also bought an Eco 8 which I didn't seem to have much luck with because I think my transmitter (skysport 6) broke down as I got the heli. It works funny both with the Hornet and Eco. I am not sure if the hornet I bought was a CP or FP. So I have uploaded a picture. Can you guys please identify it for me?

Also, see this:

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...5FJig-1489.htm

What exactly is it? Do I need it if the humming bird I bought is FP ? Any adjustments needed? I fly 2 sims, I can hover but not very well so I thought since this humming bird was £90 which was cheaper than my 2 helis £230 for my hornet, I could practise the 'real thing' rather than flying sims! Thought it might be more fun. Finally, see the hornet I have, it is 1st gen hornet, so how would I adjust it so that it will hover easy ?

Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39234.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	203725  
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Flaps2012

Default RE: Bought Humming Bird

Your Hornet is definately FP... I have a first gen Hornet as well. Not really an easy heli to fly, but once you get it set up right it is more than manageable... similar flight characteristics to a 30 size machine, only it's fixed pitch. As far as your radio, what exactly is it doing?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
rusirius

yes, the hornet and the hummingbird are FP... The link you reference is a pitch gauge... It's used to set the pitch on CP heli's... You don't need it unless you decide to pull the eco 8 out (it should be cp)... Basically you "clip" it onto a blade, set it for whatever pitch you want, set the collective stick to where you want that pitch, and then adjust your links or your pitch curve so that the flybar is going perfectly straight through the two "windows" in the gauge....
Old 12-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Sabot

you're missing an anti-rotation arm.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:05 AM
AceCobra1

Is that with my hornet? Maybe thats why I am finding it so hard to fly it ! I fly ok on the sims. Anyway, could you kindly tell me which part it is?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:07 AM
AceCobra1

Also, I charge my hornet batteries using a motorcylce battery, just wondering if any of u guys know of any chargers which I can connect to a plug coz I heard of some folks having nasty experiences connecting into the wrong polarities in these batteries.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Flaps2012

Sabot is right... you are missing the antirotation arm. It should be a small piece of carbon fiber rod about an inch and a half long that glues into that little tear drop shaped plastic extention at the base of the rotor shaft. There is a little fork looking extension on the swash plate that the rod feeds through. It keeps all of the cyclic linkages from rotating with the rotor. Your helicopter has got to be damn near unflyable without it.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 PM
AceCobra1

got my bird today. Anyway, I find it quite difficult to liftoff because when I power it up, it just vibrates so much... any ideas what I should do? I have positioned so that the main blades are 90 degrees to the flybars... still vibrates... is this normal?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:15 PM
AceCobra1

Anyone any idea?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:54 AM
KawaKattacK2000
My Feedback: (10)

It could be 2 problems...your blades and flybar paddles need to be balanced, and /or your blades are not tight enough on the rotor head...they should be tight, but still move if moderate to strong presssure is applied.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:12 PM
RockyHelpU

You say you got your Hummingbird today or a different Bird as in bird meaning heli.

If it's your humming bird, take the above advice. Also I adjust my mains by slightly loosening the blades and pulling at the very tips of the mains apart from each other. This tends to be easiest. Also check your blade tracking on both the mains and Flybar paddles. The flybars should be parrellel to the swashplate and the mains should track with each other.

BALANCE AND TRACKING!! Those are the only two things I can think of. Micro's are very sensitive to these two things.

BTW How exactly did you adjust the mains to be 90 degrees to the flybars? Hummingbird and many like it have tapered leading edges. You want the center of the blades to be adjacent to the flybars.