Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

battery swelled

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:40 PM
maddogmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery swelled

hi

just got my ESKY HONEY BEE 2, it came with a 11.1v 1000mAh Li-ion Rechargable Battery, after the first 10 to 15 minutes of charging the pack started to swell, i didn't like the looks of it so i unpluged it and put it out side, i uploaded a photo of it , as you can see it split the blue heat shrink open, and i could smell it.
the charger it the one that came with it output 12.6/ 1amp. now this really sucks never even had a chance to fly it, any suggestion on a safer battery set up?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26953.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	205120  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:32 AM
tanasit

Default RE: battery swelled

Most likely, one or more of the 3 cells are defective. I use the stock charger with same output with no problems. Is the input AC correct? (110 or 220 volts).
Discard the pack properly!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 AM
pwterry

"Safer battery setup?" The Nimh battery is quite safe. Unfortunately, it is so heavy that you would have 5 to 6 minutes flight times (or unable to fly should you have one with sufficient output to run the motor(s) for over 6 minutes).

Lithium batteries have a set voltage range of 3 to 4.2 volts per cell. To discharge to below 3v or charge above 4.2v can cause damage from which the battery may not recover. In addition these batteries that are used for RC aircraft do not have electronic overcharge protection.

The 11.1v li battery is a 3 cell. So it should never be allowed to go below 9 volts, or above 12.6 volts.

Using an inexpensive volt meter (Radio Shack usually has a digital one for around $20), Check your battery AND your charger. It's very possible the battery came with a full charge and your first charge put it "over" (or it was defective to begin with). It is also possible that the charger is putting out more than its rating.

Personally, I would get another lithium battery, and a charger with the overcharge protection built in. Both are available from Towerhobbies, Ebay, and almost any hobby shop.

Lithium batteries are great for light electric aircraft. They are lighter than any other battery currently available. They also REQUIRE GREAT CARE in use and charging.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is a new bat and a new charger, and the first time it was used it did this, wouldn't it be considered a warrenty issue? Call the person you bought it from. Seems to me that either the bat or charger is defective. I would ask that they both be replaced.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 PM
maddogmax

hi all

I'm trying for some warranty, p[>:]ssed me off,any way I'd like to get a good charger battery set up, like to use Li, if I could do it without worrying about it happening again and safely
Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 PM
maddogmax

i'm looking for suggestions for a good charger and battey, 11.1 v 1000 mah, that can be safely charged for my heli
Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Charlie

A good and cheap charger to buy is the Hobbico Quick Field charger Mkll. It will charge 1 to 3 cell lithium batteries, plus it will charge Nicd and NiMH batteries to (if you ever have to). The only problem is it's 12 volt, so you will need a 12 volt battery to run it or a cigarette lighter in a car. The good thing about this charger is it will only charge lithium batteries a 1 amp, so you can't screw up by charging your battery to fast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33773.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	205584  
Old 12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought one that will charge all types, and as many cells as you want. It is AC/DC and works great. I will have to look when I get home at the brand. Its the one my local shop suggested. This was my first elect so I had to go with their experience.