Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

honeybee2 probs - no positive pitch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

honeybee2 probs - no positive pitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:52 PM
bswole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honeybee2 probs - no positive pitch

Hey everybody,

My honeybee2 finally got here. I can't get the thing to lift off the ground. It doesn't have nearly enough positive pitch. Even when I flip the 3d switch, it pushes like heck on negative pitch, but it barely bites the air at all on positive pitch. The headspeed gets way up there, but it won't take a big enough chunk out of the air to get off the ground.

Any ideas on what I need to do to give myself more + pitch?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
GentleBen1952

Default RE: honeybee2 probs - no positive pitch

Just got my honeybee 2 also, a complete novice with heli's but accomplished r/c plane pilot. If yours came with a 650 Mah 8.4v Pack it will just barely get off the ground. I switched to a 11.1 1200 mah Lipo and it made a tremendous differance. Also the main blades and paddles can be twisted. I have had the best luck so far with the paddles level and the main blades with just a touch of + pitch.
When I try to add + pitch to paddles or very much +pitch to main blades it will not lift off. Also make sure your throttle and throttle trim are set all the way down when you plug in your battery and don't touch heli until light is solid green. I have only managed a few 5 sec flights so far, very hard to control and I have spent many hours on G2 simulator. Just got done rebuilding landing gear, used piano wire this time. Try again tomorrow. This is a pretty tough bird, can't believe its still together after some of the "Landings" so far.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:31 PM
GentleBen1952

One more thing that is very important, the swash plate tends to come apart, it is just a press fit. Will not lift off if not together.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:08 AM
X_Broly_X

Looks like every time I get something fixed, something else goes wrong... I am now having problems with no + pitch.. It was working for a while NP, then during one bunny hop practice it would just not lift off anymore. I have 2 11.1 li poly batterys that work fine (at least I think), so I don't think its a problem of not enough charge. I notice that when I slowley turn the throttle up there is much more negative pitch, then seems to want to not give any posative pitch when I get to speed.

It might just be my perception, but the blades appear to be spinning a little slower (I might have just become used to the noise) also the light on the mixer turns red at about 75% throttle. I dont know how exatly the li poly batteries work, but I use a wall charger that came with it, and charged both batteries about 2 hours initially. I am going out to get a field charger as I hear they are better for getting full power into the battery.

EDIT: Also swash plate is fine.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 AM
GentleBen1952

I feel your pain, had the exact same thing happen to me. Check and make sure the main shaft did not get bent and that the blades and paddles are at the right angle. I have had to straighten out my main shaft three times! Have a new one on order.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:31 AM
X_Broly_X

If the blades were not at the right angle, what could be done about that? I dont think anyhting is bent because it was working fine, never even landed rough then it stops working
Old 12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
GentleBen1952

The blades and paddles can be twisted. I have had the best luck so far with the paddles even and the blades with just a touch of +pitch. If I try to add even a little +pitch to the paddles I can't get enough head speed.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
X_Broly_X

It is CP, so I dont see an obvious way to add a permenant twist. Unless your talking about the socket that the ball joint goes into, but that has never changed. I still wonder why it did this out of the blue. Thanks for being patient wtih me, I have been out of RC for a while.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 PM
GentleBen1952

Not sure what to tell you at this point. But these are cheap little things, a CP copter for $180 is unheard of. I'm taking mine out to the flying field tonight where I will have a bunch of room. I keep heading for trees, posts etc. trying around my house. This is one unstable little sucker. I'm sure it needs trimed but can't keep it in the air long enough to even begin to trim it. All I can think of with your problem is defective 4 in 1 box. Normally the lights should blink red then green then solid green when you plug in battery. Solid red at full throttle. If all that is working then I'm not sure what your problem might be.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 PM
X_Broly_X

Thanks for the help.. The boot sequence works like it is supposed to, I am going out to the LHS to pick up a better charger for these li polys and see if thats not the problem.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:40 PM
GentleBen1952

I have the triton charger, a little pricey but very versitle.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Poll

I had a problem with no + pitch after a crash once, I just held both of the blades and turned them till they were pitched, and the heli worked fine...
Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 PM
bswole

Thanks for all the responses.

I've got 2 11.1v li-poly batts, so power isn't a problem. In fact, when in 3d mode, if you hold the heli, it'll push back hard against you when you change the cp to negative, but it barely pulls when I try to use positive pitch. From all the air the thing's moving in negative pitch, I know power is definately not a problem. The doggone blades just won't increase pitch enough for the thing to get more than about an inch off the ground. I've got some new blades on order, as I read that the stock blades were pretty crappy. We'll see I guess.

Oh, did I mention that when I first opened the box and put batteries in the Tx, it let out a bunch of smoke? It didn't completely fry the Tx, as it still controls the heli, but the range is only about 3 feet. I'm in contact with the seller about a new Tx.

This sucks. I paid nearly $200 for a heli that won't get off the ground, and if it could, I'd have to be within 3 feet to control it.

[:@]
Old 12-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Poll

LMAO, boy, that does suck. Yeah, I have new blades on order too . . . I've been thinking about changing where the swash in connected to the servos..maybe that'll fix the pitch.. but I don't want to get into that till I try new blades, my hb2 is able to hop and stay 8'' off the ground.. but.. I don't have enough power to really control it..

I have to agree that we get something half-assed for $200. Well, at least it can take a crash pretty well ;-). I also like fiddling with things, so, not the end of the world for me.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 PM
X_Broly_X

Looks like the local hobby town has no micro heli parts at all, or even anything that can charge li poly batteries (even though they sell a micro copter with no charger...). Looks like I might as well order some new blades as well as a charger. I did mess with the linkage arms some and I finnaly have some downward thrust, but I defiantly think the battery is also a problem now.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Billyray

I had the same problem with my ES2, but after only changing the throttle trim to the highest position after waiting for the green light ive been able to fly with little trouble. Also you might have the same problem either now or later with the two halfs of the swashplate seperating. There is no real fix other than using specific glues or like ive done by replacing the part.

Heli Hobby is the best rescource ive found so far. You can use the Hummingbird Elite CP parts as a direct replacement for the ESky 2.

[link]http://www.helihobby.com/index.html[/link]
Stock Swashplate
CNE212 Elite CP Swashplate 15.95 PART#CNE212

CNC Swashplate
The X-Pro CNC Light 120 Degress Aluminum Swashplate 69.99 PART#IP5977-1

Old 12-28-2004, 04:43 PM
X_Broly_X

I found the problem with my heli! The little pin that goes through the top rotor assembly and main shaft was broken, half was sticking out one side and half out the other, but nothing was going through the hole in the center. When I put full throttle I noticed the wings started slowing down but the motor sped up, this made me want to check the one way ball bearing system (or whatever it is) on my way getting to it I noticed the pin. The obnoctious part is this pin has always looked like that, I just thought it was long and sticking out both sides. I guess there was enough pressure on the rotor shaft initally to not show any problems.

If you are not having problems with swash plates, blades, or battery, check the pin. It might be a factory defect present on more than my model.

EDIT: Bah, the little half piece of pin I put back broke, anybody know where to get replacement? I also need rotor blades, what workes the best with little to no modifications?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 PM
GentleBen1952

I found I had a broken pin also, about the 3rd time I took apart to straighten shaft. Just get the right dia. piano wire from LHS. I happened to have a piece from a elec plane I built. Paper clip might work for short term fix.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:04 AM
pileit

X BROLY X HELI-HOBBY has the pins under miss. parts