Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Im looking to get into Heli's or MT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Im looking to get into Heli's or MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 04:37 PM
hugabone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im looking to get into Heli's or MT

Im not sure what I would like best. I never done either and was looking to buy a buggy actually, an XTM XLB. Im not going to race it but started to read up on Heli's. They seem to be much more fun but expensive. I was looking to do the flight sim for awhile then move on to the Heli. Im looking to get a Raptor 50v2 instead of the 30 right from the start. But the Buggy is RTR and much cheaper. I might get them both but for now I can only get one. For those who've done both, what are the fun factor from each.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:59 PM
RockyHelpU

Default RE: Im looking to get into Heli's or MT

Each of them has their own advantages. I like my MT beacuase it's virtually indestructible, Yet I'm a Micro Heli guy as well. I really enjoy my Micro for the purpose of being able to fly in my Garage and Backyard. If you enjoy a challenge I'd recommend the heli. Anyone can drive buggy or MT out of the box. Being a heli pilot takes alot of practice and honing of the skills. Now I'm not knocking on buggies or land vehicles in any manner. I only get as much ejoyment out of my MT and cars when I race (that's not to often and not very organized in this area).

Another thing, what kind of fun is it to stick a micro camera setup on a car?

My opinion and many will probably disagree. Good luck with your choice, BTW if you've got the money I'd go with that Raptor if I was you ( I don't own one and have only flown one once at my old field but It was a blast)
Old 12-30-2004, 05:01 PM
ChopperMike

I started with cars and still run them once in a while. The airplanes or especially heli's are, IMO, much more fun to operate. Cars, for me, got old real quick. There's only so much you can do with them. If you get into racing, then there's another level. But for me there's no question which one comes out on top.

Mike
Old 12-30-2004, 05:47 PM
hugabone

When I saw a video of someone flying a Heli, it looked crazy fun. They were doing all types of crazy stunts. I know thats way down the line but all the potentials a Heli has is unreal. I wouldnt be racing the MT or Buggy, just bashing. I still might get that but 1st Ill probably start of with the Heli. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Lason

I have raced monster trucks, 1/8 scale buggies, 1/10 scale stadium trucks and buggies (nitro and electric) and even had a mini stadium racer before I quit my 10 year long history of racing land vehicles about 1 1/2 years ago. They are VERY fun, especially when racing at a sactioned track but they take alot less coordination than a plane or heli because instead of 2D your flying in 3D so there are more controls to mess with. BTW, XTM is junk so stay away from it if you can. If your looking at a buggies look at Kyosho MP7.5 or a Mugen MBX5. Both of them are affordable and can be adapted to race anything from offroad to sprint if you decide to go that route. My last buggy was a Kyosho Kanaii II and it was AWSOME, came with many upgrades out of the box but also cost $700 for the rolling chassis. Go to a LHS and see if they have Real flight setup so you can practice on a heli, Im sure you'll find it to be real fun and inlike driving around on the ground it requires alot more concentration that it doesnt get old after 10 minutes. I spent 3 hours on my computer last night learning how to hover.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 PM
RockyHelpU

Bashing on a MT or Buggy gets really old quick especially if you don't rome in circles of enthusiasts like your self. Heli's is a learning process everyday, Make sure if you go the heli route that you follow the steps to learning. Hover tail in, side in, (other) side in and finally nose in. Then you can transition to Forward flight and hover sliding. Once that's mastered (that will take you a while mind you) you can move onto more advanced manuevering.

Good luck again,,
Old 01-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I ran monster trucks for two years,I started with a T-Maxx which was a mistake went to a Monster GT the best truck and for fun threw in the XTM Mammoth which was real junk and after about a hour of running around a parking lot got real old as was said before.I then started looking at Heli's as a change but was told by many that they are to hard to learn and that little heli's would not fly good at altitude here in Colorado well I did not listen to any and started with Realflight G2 and now I have a Shogun,Trex and just finished building a JR Voyager E and have sold all my nitro trucks and will never have another one or anything Nitro.Do what you think you would enjoy the most and can afford Helis are quite a bit more money than monster trucks and the real good heli's need to be built from a kit although there are a few RTF small heli's that are ok,I got real tired of messing with them and went straight to my Shogun.Heli's can be expensive to repair but not much more than a monster truck my first crash with my T-Maxx cost me $275.00 so they both are not cheap.Take your time and think it out and then decide what you think you would enjoy but most of all stick with because there is a long learning curve with heli's they are not something that will be learned in a short period of time.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:14 PM
WhtBronco

I'd go aircraft. I started gas cars at 9 years old, planes at 15, helis at 17 and got out of racing cars at 18. Too much money to keep it all going and the aircraft were much more fun. I never got out of hovering my Concept 30 years ago, and recently got a Raptor 50 that is simply awesome. Today's simulators help you advance with aircraft so much faster than in the past. Helis will cost more now and later than a MT, but I think you'll find it much more rewarding. Certainly more challenging.