Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

computer radio or not?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

computer radio or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 PM
frager14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer radio or not?

I'm just starting out in rc helicopters. I have a Kyosho Concept 30 kit coming in the mail with an O.S. 32. My question is what exactly is the advantage of a computer radio and is it really necessary for a beginning pilot? Does it have to be a heli computer radio or can it be any computer radio. If it is a requirement then could you please give me a list of radios that will work near the bottom of the price range.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: computer radio or not?

It seems to be the general consensus that you should buy the best radio you can get. If you're short on money, then it is unlikely that you will replace this radio for a long time, and you will quickly outgrow any bargain-basement radio.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 AM
pwterry

Yes, you need a computer radio.
Yes, you need a helicopter capable radio.
Just one of several reasons: On a heli, the throttle stick controls both the throttle and the main rotor blade's pitch. The computer allows you to program both (throttle & pitch curves) for the best performance.

The Futaba 7C will do nicely:
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGAF0**&P=ML[/link]

The Futaba 9C will do even better:
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASY0**&P=7[/link]

The Futaba 9Z will do it all, and then some:
[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUY18&P=7[/link]

Of course, the more you pay, the more and better features you get. But, unless you plan on "turning pro", the 7C will suffice and shouldn't leave you wanting more.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
flyerdarren

You could also look at the Airtronics RD-8000, Fully capable heli radio, will also work with planes, sail planes, v-tails, delta wings, and it runs about $279. Can't beat the price for all that this radio does.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
ChopperMike

I don't know if anyone even makes a non-computer radio with heli functions. Futaba might make still make their 6 channel yet, I'm not sure. The non computer heli radios did all the adjustment of the various mixing with trim pots instead setting parameters like the computer radios do. If you like JR radios they have the 6102 which I've heard good things about. Also check out the Hitec Eclipse 7. Just make sure whatever you get is heli capable. The are some low end computer radios that are airplane only.

Mike
Old 01-06-2005, 08:17 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew heli's when there wasn't no such thing as computer radios, I hope we never have to go back to that!!!!! I wouldn't even have gotten back into heli's if it wasn't for computer radios,heading hold gyro's and govenors. makes the sport so much more enjoyable, EVEN FOR THE BEGINNER. Even a cheap computer radio is better than nothing. Buy as much as you can afford.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
frager14

Does this radio look like it would work?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXH239**&P=0
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM
tanasit

Yes it will works fine, in fact this is the radio that's on the list of the recommended items under your Kyosho Concept 30.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
tanasit

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

I flew heli's when there wasn't no such thing as computer radios, I hope we never have to go back to that!!!!! I wouldn't even have gotten back into heli's if it wasn't for computer radios,heading hold gyro's and govenors. makes the sport so much more enjoyable, EVEN FOR THE BEGINNER. Even a cheap computer radio is better than nothing. Buy as much as you can afford.
I agreed! I even used to cheat doing helicopter invert flying by flipping a switch!
Old 01-06-2005, 11:31 PM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

Futaba's 7C is perfect. It even comes with digi's and is affordable.