Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Futaba 7CAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 AM
johnboyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7CAP

I am looking at getting a raptor 50 this winter, and am wondering how well my radio will work. I have the Futaba 7 CAP, the airplane version, which has a ratchet throttle and switches rearranged. Will this radio work for beginning, or am I better off getting a radio that is setup for helis.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 AM
rusirius

Default RE: Futaba 7CAP

Hrmmm interesting question... Will it work? Absolutely, but you WILL want to open it up and remove the "ratchet" mechanism. The only problem I've found in doing this is the throttle feels a little too "loose" afterwards.... The alternative would be to replace the ratchet metal with a smooth piece of metal... That will stiffen it back up a bit without the ratchet effect... You definately don't want a ratchet on the throttle... There are MANY times when the spot you want will fall right between two "notches"..

Otherwise it's just a matter of preference.. I like the 9C myself, since I prefer to use one radio for all my planes and helis.. The 9C has a few features the 7C will not do, but it's not a huge deal. Your switches are reversed a little, like your three-way with the normal and two idle-up modes will be on the right instead of the left... Since your just learning it won't make any difference to you, just beware that if you switch to a heli radio later, or would try to fly someone elses heli you might find yourself hitting throttle hold when you meant to idle up, etc..

Bottom line, in my opinion... If you can spring for a 9C, you'd be better off selling the 7C (it's still a great radio and you should be able to get a pretty good price for it) and upgrading to the 9C... You might even consider holding onto the 7C... Even though I fly everything from one radio I like to keep another good radio around just in case something happens to the 9C, I can still fly and not be out of business while waiting for it to be repaired....

Hell if you've got the money go for the 9Z, but if you didn't care about money you probably wouldn't be asking this question...
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That radio will work fine. You can remove the ratchet on the throttle or leave it. Its easier witout it but it will work fine. I wouldn't upgrade unless you really want to, and then the 9C is fine. I wouldn't waste the money on the Z radios. The price is double and the features just aren't there for that for the normal modeler.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:25 PM
johnboyrc

I plan on keeping the 7C, for I have several planes (too many) I use it for. If it will work for learning basics, I will use it to begin with. When I get to a more advanced stage, I think it will be pretty evident that a better radio is needed.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:56 AM
okw

I agree with rusirius on the throttle ratchet. It is much preferred to have a smooth throttle rather than the ratchet. One very easy way to remove the ratchet feel without loosing the tension on the stick is to put a piece of fuel tubing over the ratchet spring. I've found that I like the smooth throttle better on planes now too. I now fly a 9CHP and I love it.

Keith
Old 01-08-2005, 03:41 AM
ChopperMike

That's what I did on my 9C, a piece of fuel tubing over the ratchet. Mine too is an airplane version with the idle-up and throttle hold switches reversed. BTW, I love my 9C! It does everything I could think of and then some. I too think the 9Z radios are a bit of a waste for 90% of us. Unless you're into competition big time you'll never need one. Two of my flying buddies have 9Z's. I always kid them about it, asking where the toast and coffee comes out! They do everything else, why shouldn't they make your breakfast!

Mike