Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

KYOSHO CALIBER M24 EP

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
kaisare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYOSHO CALIBER M24 EP

As I am new to R/C Heli, and have recently bought Kypsho Caliber M24 EP as my 1st heli, I have some questions for experienced pilots and users of this model prior to getting airborne:

1) Is the Safety Bar absolutely essential for 1st timers? If so, how does this change dynamics of the heli? Does this bar excessively wear off the motors? As the tail motor has a life of about just 15 sorties, I am very apprehensive to put the safetly bar on for my 1st flight.

2) Is it possible to get extra OEM NimH charger which came with this kit? I did not see any part number for this charger on Kyosho website, or in the parts manual. I tried to call kyosho heli hotline number, but their representative was lost as well.

3) What is the correct charge time for the batteries? Kypsho rep's give different answers every time I call i.e. 4 hours, 6 hours and 10 hours.

4) Any tips on good flying habits with caliber m24 would be very helpful as well.

Thanks .....guys
Old 01-09-2005, 09:09 AM
kaamacat

Default RE: KYOSHO CALIBER M24 EP

kaisare.

Not that this helps with your charging question (although you'd think there would be a way to figure out the mah rating on the batteries, and the one on the charger for a good estimate) but I'd like to know how you like the M24 overall. I plan(ed) on getting
one in a week-or-2.

Bob
Old 01-09-2005, 07:05 PM
rh2

I belive the M24 batteries are 650mah. (I charge at .65amps - takes about 1 hour)

If you are going to fly electric's (helis / airplanes /etc ) invest in a good charger -
one that will do all battery types.

I like the look of the M24 - it's not very responsive, flys very soft - lots of stick mashing, I like a heli that requires very little stick movment and is accurate - the M24 is neither of those. That said it is fun to fly in the house and at the office.

The real draw back is the tail motor, it has a very short life span (book says 15 flights). I've been getting less than 10 flights before it dies. You will know when it's about to quit, you will be holding extra right stick on the tail. When it dies the heli just spins - if it dies durning flight..... setting a spining heli down without breaking anything is a real treat. The pinoin on the main motor is VERY soft - buy lots of extras.

Flight times are about 5 minutes - you also may want to get heat sinks for both motors.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

There are many replacement parts and also extra charger here http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...E07**&P=Z,also I had one for two days and sent back no power and cannot upgrade it to lipo's not worth the money when this one is better http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXHEH0**&P=0 and it comes with LiPo's and full bearings installed and is cheaper in price.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 PM
rh2

I have both M24 and Rotofly.

The Rotofly uses a smaller main motor - which suffers from short life span (even when heat sync is added).
Both use the same small tail rotor motor - life span is less than 10 flights.

Yes the Rotofly comes with Li-Po battery, flight time is still less than 5 minutes.
(This is actual flight time - I fly both from my Futuba 9Z transmitter with a 5 minute countdown timer that only starts when the throttle is above 25%)

The gear mesh is very important on both helicopters.
Make sure the main and tail gears are not to tight -
this will rob power, shorten flight time and burn up motors even faster.

As for the way they fly....

The Rotofly
- is tighter (head assembly)
- it requires less stick input
- does require more right stick durning lift off
- can handle a tip over durning landing with no breakage
- hard to handle in ground effect
- flight times suffer as main motor wears out (after about 10-14 flights)
- flight time less than 5 minutes
- tail roto motor only good for 8 to 10 flights (had one fail after 3 flights)

The M24
- is easier to fly within ground effect
- runs smoother and is more stable once airborn
- slow to respond to stick input, it seems like there is a lag time from control input to helicopter reaction (sloppy head assembly)
- breaks main pinoin gear VERY easly / tip over durning landing (order extras)
- better looking canopy
- flight time less than 6 minutes
- tail roto motor only good for 8 to 10 flights

Both helicopters are fun toys.

If you are looking for a helicopter to fly indoors that
is reliable and does not require lots of maintance / replacements parts
you might consider another model.

If you are lookiing for "open the box and fly" both
the Rotofly and M24 are good choices for indoor fun....
if you know how to fly (and your wife is out shopping)
Old 01-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I have had both and sent both back I really cannot see spending the money for little disposable heli's when there are better heli's out there and that is why I went to larger more reliable heli's,I really want to fly I go outside and spool up my Voyager E.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:54 PM
kaisare

Thanks for the input guys!

Shall try to get it off the ground one of these days.

It seems the m24 or even the rotofly for that matter are very high on maintenance!! Not a wise investemnt for 300$. I would be too prudent in saying it would compete with women as far as spending on it is concerned.....lol..

Although things have not started spinning in my house yet , the day is not long for my wife to to fly ME and my M24 RIGHT OUT OF THE HOUSE!!!