Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

when to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM
clovus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when to upgrade

Howdy,
I have a GWS mini dragonfly that I can hover for maybe 1/2 a minute at a time, do some basic forward flight and my landings are becoming more controlled, with only the occasional crash -maybe 1 in 5 landings. The old dragonfly is getting pretty beat up after the learning process and needs lots of parts replaced (frame is wobbly where the landing gear attach, blades are looking pretty shabby and tail mount is broken).

I was wondering if I would be better off to upgrade to something a bit bigger - eg shogun/zoom 400, as my LHS supplies them, but am concerned about the high cost of replacement parts. When is a good time to go to a better(?) heli, and how crash resistant is the shogun?
thanx
Old 01-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Radd

Default RE: when to upgrade

In most cases a helicopter can be restored to good as new...but some times the repair parts can cost more than a new kit... so make a list and compare the difference...

It is good to keep in mind that if you cant play the piano.....a baby grand will not make you sound like you can.....

this is a hobby....have fun and take it a step at a time.....throwing money at it will only make some one else rich....
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

micro heli's are a bottomless pit for money. Keep what you have until your ready to move up to nitro. once you move to nitro you will never go back to micro's, unless you hit the lottery.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Radd

edge..Your absolutely right..but it doesnt have to be that way...I just made a post yesterday about making Micros into Hot-Rods....

If you keep a micro for its indoor use they are lot of fun...We ( At the RIFF ) even had dog fights with stock piccolos...5 or 6 going to battle...we raced them around on the floor sliding on the skids like RC cars...Then we took photos of just how close you can get two of them together in the air.....

But start pounding money into them and its over....unless your an accomplished micro 3D pilot...

Some very good pilots came to the RIFF with killer micros....when they saw how much fun we had flying through the kitchen..(he he he..Buzz .)...We had to make a trip to Hobby Lobby for a few stock kits....and we Bashed the crap out of them....glued them back together with a hunk of what-ever and bashed them some more...

you really can have a ton of fun with a stock quality micro....( I'm not familar with all of the clones and crap out there..)....I have alot of micros...but I'd rather goof around with a totaly stock bird (inside) than my hopped up little piggy banks....Which...I dont fly outside....why would I?...I have other machines to fly there.....

Here is a simple test.....

If your afraid to break up your (stock) micro.....put it on the floor in the center of a large room with a slick floor and see how fast you can do a figure eight sliding around......you do that for a twenty minutes and you'll see a whole new world of possibilities...and if you arent smiling ...I'll eat my rotor blade.....

the advantage to this is that it relaxes you and gives you the vision and feeling that you might want to try it in the air.....
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
clovus

Ahh,
the (in)famous RADD, always informative and interesting posts - we must share the same sense of humour. Thanks for the advice fella's, maybe it's time for some more piano lessons before I listen to my LHS?? I love my micro so might as well fix'er up and smash it some more ... ha ha ha.
clive