Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Tail motor spins when ever battery is plugged in on Aero Hawk... :(

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Tail motor spins when ever battery is plugged in on Aero Hawk... :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM
rc_lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail motor spins when ever battery is plugged in on Aero Hawk... :(

Hi Folks -

Whenever I plug in my battery on my Smartech Aero Hawk, the tail rotor spins up to full speed (at least, I think it is full speed because it tries to spin the heli in a fast circle). All the while the main rotor is not spinning at all. The transmitter is already on.

If I hold the throttle stick to the far left position the tail rotor will stop spinning until I let the stick spring back to the center position when the tail rotor usually starts spinning again. Though, sometimes it doesn't spin until I move the throttle the tiniest bit, then it spins up again to full speed.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this heli?

I've yet to fly it for the first time. This problem caught me by surprise the very first time I plugged in the battery and the heli spun off and crashed into something before I could stop it. After some three weeks, I've finally received the parts to repair it and the same problem is still present (though with a new tail motor and tail rotor).

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:59 AM
flyerdarren

Default RE: Tail motor spins when ever battery is plugged in on Aero Hawk... :(

check your rudder trim to make sure it's centered. It could also be a problem with the gyro. On the the circuit board up front there are two small pots. Those are the gyro center and sensitivity. Play around with those a little. It really sounds like a gyro problem
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 AM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

On my GWS dragonfly, if the heli moves at all while the gyro is intializing ( before the green light comes on) , the tail rotor will spin. When I plug in the battery I will continue to hold the heli until the light comes on.
One time, at band camp, the reversing switch on the gryo somehow moved to the reversed position. As the heli spun, the gyro tried to stop the rotation and gave the wrong signal to the tail motor causing it to spin more and more.
Was not a fun axperience!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Jman44

I think that is exactly what his problem is because I had the same exact problem with my smartech skylark heli. I noticed it spun out of control one time , I was lucky it didnt break anything especially since it lifted off and started to fly right at me, luckily the battery ripped out as it was spinning really fast and the heli dropped to the ground unbroken phew... . Well any ways I noticed that the best and safest way to start ur heli is to hold it on the ground and do NOT move it one tiny inch after pluging in the battery pack(transmitter on first of course). Just hold it there untill u get the ok led light. If the rotors were to spinn at full speed you have it held on the ground and you imediatly disconect the battery pack and try again.