Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

DragonFly Heli

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Steverea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DragonFly Heli

Wow, real hard just to hover. I saw where someone mentioned make sure the heli is balanced. Ready to fly out of the box is not balanced? I have noticed that when I just try to hover the heli goes straight over to one side. Is this the trim or balance??
Thanks

Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: DragonFly Heli

STEVE:

What dragonfly do you have. I have the GWS dragonfly and if you have that one I might be able to give you some pointers.
Alan
Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Steverea

Alan:

I will verify tonight which one it is and I quess I will just post another message for you in the morning. I flew plans years ago but this helicopter is something else.

Thanks

Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Steverea

I checked out the internet and I am pretty sure it is the GWS Dragonfly. Very nice model but I can not fly it yet. Help

Thanks

Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 PM
clovus

Steve,

I have the same heli and have only just overcome that problem so I feel your pain. I lauch mine with a good dose of throttle and anticipate the movement to the left as it goes up - something I learnt from RADD's method of flying. Sorry don't have the link but it's on here somewhere. And if all else fails I know he's floating around...

Maybe someone with more experience will shed more light onto it, but stick with it,do not give up!! You will master it with practice! At least the dragonfly seems a tough cookie - I've crashed a fair bit but she still flys (It makes me laugh to have it fall in a mess of sticks and blades, then 2 minutes later...hey presto! she's ready to fly again.. With the foam planes its was hours of sticking bits of white foam together then waiting for glue to set). The learning curve is pretty steep, but once you get onto it things seem to progress fast and all of a sudden you're impressing your friends and they all want one too.
Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2005, 07:21 PM
fireplug1111

Steve:

I sent you my phone number I live in central Fl and I will be up until about 11 or 12 tonight please feel free to call
I will try and give you some pointers.
Alan
Old 01-21-2005, 05:56 AM
bocktalkwbb

I have the Dragonfly by Walkera. I was a little weary, when it came with only the bold letters of WALKERA. and the instructions were dictated from a frequency that caught 'most' of the words. Now the cord from the handset doesnot connect into the computor. are there adapters for these?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:00 PM
mok73ph

i have a feda dragonfly and so far i havent really learn how to fly it yet coz everytime i try ,i cant seem to control it yet, but im not giving up, im thinking that it was me and not the heli, im trying to focus on the sim and hopefully when i master the sim it will help my fly the real one,,, my problem is my cable doesnt connect to my laptop , i bought an adaptor from best buy , but it says no tx detected.so i always have to use my p.c w/c is on my basement ,,,,whats the best thing for me to do so ican use it on my laptop,,,using the usb from mmy laptop and my cable is a 9 pin female
Old 01-21-2005, 07:41 PM
fireplug1111

HITECRCD.COM:

Hey guys with the sim problems thr that site its the FMS web site I have used thiers and its good for being a cheaper one. It has free downloads and the last time I looked it showed you how to build a cable for your radio.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:19 AM
loadthis
My Feedback: (3)

When you are spooling up the rotors, ground effect begins to take place. This is the interaction between the down thrust and the ground. This will cause the heli to vear left. While adding throttle, anticipate the left movement by giving right cyclic. Do not use the trims to try and correct it on he ground, it will only lead to problems in the air.
Once it the air your control inputs need to be small. Also, the inputs you give will seem to lag. Wait for the heli to go the direction you told it to go.
Radd's School of Flying is here www.dream-models.com definitely a good source of info.

Try a search on this site for more info. There is alot of it here. My Dragonfly is great after learning how to handle it. I did require quite a few replacement parts and more time here on the forum than anything. I also used FMS to learn the basics. FMS only plays at about 6-8 frames per second on my computer and I dont have the interface cable but was still a good tool to use.

Dont give up, that first controlled hover will have you hooked. Ask my wife! Right after my first hover I went out and bought a 30 size heli with all the fixins!!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:00 PM
RiverRunner__2

hey bud how are ya.
i have the same prob with my walkera . i brought it to the guy i know whos been flying heli's for years and he said ITS JUNK. if you want a simple heli that for the 1st time flying i flew his right after i got it up and hoverd and got it to maneuver nicely was the hirobo xrb.
looks a little odd with the twin rotors on the top but hey . it flies lol

if you or anyone else knows how to fix the prob with it taking off and crashing to its right side plz tell me also. cuz im sending it back this week its making this beginner pilot not want to fly and go back to cars and trucks lol
have a good day.
Lar
Old 01-23-2005, 05:08 PM
fireplug1111

LAR:

Dont give up on the heli just yet. Go to RADDs school of flight its on here somewhere. He has an awesome artical on hovering. it will teach you many many things.
try a search for RADDS HELICOPTERS it will come up
Old 01-23-2005, 05:34 PM
_Buzz_

Hi all, the Dream Models site is down right now...catastophic server outages in NewZealand. I'm trying to make arrangements with the webmaster (BertVanKets)to get Radds lessons onto my webspace temporarily....I'll let you know when it's there (or alternative site)

Buzz
Old 01-24-2005, 09:15 AM
loadthis

River Runner 2,
If your rotors spin counter-clockwise then your heli will vear to the right when spooling up.
Do yours spin that way?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:28 PM
abcman

I also have a problem with my dragonfly wanting to lay over before lift-off. Of course the instructions on how to adjust the servos, blades, etc. were very vaque. The inst. manual said to make adjustments, how to make them was evidently unimportant or should have been common knowledge. The reason I know this is because there wasn't anything contained in the manual at all about how to make the proper adjustments. When I contacted the e-bay seller where I purchased the heli to ask if there was more instructions that came with the unit he replied no. As of this moment he has failed to respond to my last attempt to communicate. Does anyone have diagrams of the proper set up method? All help will be greatly appreciated. I was so tired of trying I went out and purchased a Hirobo XRB. It flies great indoors. It contained all items necessary to fly immediately. The instructions were much better. Two thumbs up on the trainer heli. I am self taught with a little simulator time. I have already began to navigate through narrow doorways, taking off and landing on a small table. I accomplished this in approx. 1 months time and only two weeks with Hirobo. Buy a lot of extra blades to avoid the downtime though. I hope I can get as much pleasure from my dragonfly, but I need some good diagrams or something to go on. Please help.
Thanks,
abcman
Old 01-24-2005, 05:55 PM
clovus

Yeah,
the instructions are pretty poor -my dargonfly manual was in chinese. Lucky my brother is a chinese language translator!
Try this website, there is some english translation:
http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...fly_manual.htm

The key is to get all your servos so they are horizontal at rest and the wires vertical. Then you can work on aligning the paddles horizontal as well. I think most helis lean on take-off but the key is to anticipate this with a bit of contorl movement as you throttle up.
Not much help but I would be interested to see how you go with teh dragonfly now you can fly your other heli - please post again to let me know.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 AM
bocktalkwbb

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I THINK I HAVE MUTTLED THRU IT . THANKS AGAIN JOHN
Old 01-25-2005, 07:49 AM
RiverRunner__2

well i know the top rotor spins left and the rear rotor spins foward lol dont know what way to look at it to tell if its spinning countr or not. i even tried setting it so the tail will move to the right when its on the ground then try to take off and it still does the same thing. i even have another new one in the box im gonna sell. cuz its for a more experienced pilot then myself. i need like the hirobo xrb lol thats ez to fly.
lol
Old 01-25-2005, 08:13 AM
loadthis

Ok, if it is rotating to the left when looking at the top of the heli, then it is spinning counter clockwise. Your heli will try to lean over to the right. You will need to anticipate that by giving left cyclic until you get out of ground effect. Everything else from my previous post will still hold true.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 AM
RiverRunner__2

Hi, how do you like the xrb. the guy at the hobby shop said its a great little flyer. and ive been looking for one but im not gonna pay 350 for it lol
and im just gonna retire my dragonfly cuz the guy said nope he cant get it to fly and hes been flying choppers for years. doesnt know why it tips over on takeoff. but i have another dragon still in box im gonna sell. or trade for something ez to fly. so is that a good bird for beginners. cuz i dont want to get the same prob if i go out and buy something else then ill totally quit trying to fly and go back to trucks and racecars lol
Lar
Old 01-25-2005, 09:26 AM
loadthis

I hate to see people get dicouraged in this hobby. It's not your fault, it is probably just real crappy equipment. If you want a great flying bird, sell all your crap and get a 30 size or larger gas heli. They are way more stable than most of the micro helis. Or if you're thing is electric, get one of the better known ccpm helis.

GWS Mini Dragonfly
Quick 30 Pro Carbon
OS 32
GY 401
Futaba 7CHP
Old 01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Radd

keeping in mind I have the flu...and I'm starting to see things against a white wall.....

the main blades should go clockwise and the tail counter clockwise....

maybe dragonflys fly under the equator though?....

Next....ask yourself one question.....what inertia would cause the helicopter to dump over?....

is the battery too far to one side?
is the swash level upon spinup
are your flybar paddles level
are your blades on the right way
are your linkages at 90degs?
head popped into the bearings good?
are your trims in the middle on the radio and are you servo horns in the middle?

next...be careful and hold your helicopter securely at arms length and spin it up....see if it tilts.....watch the swash and also see if the blades are tracking in the same space...making a nice clean razor cut in the air...the fly paddles should be cutting the same slice in the air....

With all that said...you should throttle up and hang onto your right stick and as you add throttle and do a balancing act.....keep your skids or atleast one skid on the deck until its ready to dump over...then ...just like a brain surgeon come off the throttle (left stick) and make sure the skid sets back down again....get better and better....until you can hold it at a fairly high throttle but not going anywhere.....IT CAN BE DONE.....

After that ...at high headspeed get to know your tail....move it around from 6 to 8o:clock and from 6 to 4 o:clock....

then try to drive your helicopter forward about a foot....(holding your tail to 6 o:clock)..without going left very much......then try to drive the chopper to the right and forward about a foot....( all skidding on a smooth surface....

A helicopter will want to nose to the left and the tail will want to move to the right...

keep them both straight on....

as a micro leaves the ground ...They always want to veer off ( or lean over) to the left...so hang on to right cyclic.......its like a standard shift in a manual shift car...and a trade off with the throttle and clutch....( as you add gas you let the clutch out)......( on a helicopter you add throttle and hold right cyclic......give more throttle.......and more right cyclic......as the car gets going forward you let go the clutch right?......well after a micro is air borne you let off the right cyclic and the heli will level off.....

simple huh?......dont give up....your like you told your daughter when you were teaching her to drive....
Old 01-25-2005, 06:45 PM
RiverRunner__2

HI,
ty for giving me the advice about my coptr but your really gonna think im stupid but i dont have a clue what you mean lol about this and that. i know not 1 thing really about copters so its all french to me.
well i know the battery is centerd lol and the rotors seem like they are going in the right direction. but the rest of the stuff you said. youll have to tell me step by step like your dealing with a 4 yr old lol.
trust me on this one lol if you dont. ill never get it figured out right lol. or if youd like to call me thats even better lol. ill give you my number.
tyvm
Lar
Old 01-25-2005, 06:50 PM
RiverRunner__2

and here are a few of the questions i dont know what they mean. and ill answer them 4 u
is the battery too far to one side? nope. its right in the middle but its a little loose
is the swash level upon spinup ? dont know what this means
are your flybar paddles level ? yes the guy at the hobby shop levld everything for me
are your blades on the right way ? yes they came attachd and had the hobby shop make sure
are your linkages at 90degs? dont know what this means
head popped into the bearings good? dont know what this means
are your trims in the middle on the radio and are you servo horns in the middle? yes
Old 01-25-2005, 07:27 PM
loadthis

This should help clear up a few things.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20705.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	220606  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.