Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

gyro question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 PM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gyro question

Will it be okay to use a JR gyro with a Futaba receiver? It only has to suffice for a few weeks during which ill be learning to hover. After that Ill be able to replace it with a Futaba 401. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: gyro question

The low end JR gyros will work just as badly with the futaba receiver and servos as it does with JR. if you carefully set up the right amount of tail pitch to hold the torque when adding no rudder trim, it will hold to some degree.

Unless you already have the JR gyro, save your money for the 401. All but the top end JR gyros really are a waste of money IMO. Are you considering the 401 with digital servo? Nice setup, but that 401 gyro is so good that it works very well with standard servos. You can save around 100$ and still get a great gyro by buying it without the digital servo. I have 2 of them, one is running the fitaba 9254, the other is running JR 537 standard servo. Holds fine even in fast backwards flight in wind. The low end JR servo won't come close.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 AM
ChopperMike

Default RE: gyro question

Your question was basically answered but let me just add this. Any servo or gyro will work with any receiver. The only exception I'm aware of is the older airtronics (I don't know, maybe 10 years ago?) which had reversed polarity on the leads.

The signals that the receivers put out and the signals that the servos and gyros are looking for is the same. The plugs in many xcases will even fit. In all modern equipment, the center lead is positve, the outer leads are signal and negative. If you plug the servo in backwards it won't hurt anything. It just won't work. You can tell if you have it plugged in correctly by looking at the wire colors.

Positive - Always Red
Negative - Black or brown
Signal - White, yellow or orange

Mike