Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Esky honey bee 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:47 PM
wombat201

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esky honey bee 2

I am a newborn baby when it comes to flying a heli and I have a couple of questions because I'm lost.
First. As I give it throttle, the heli spins in a clockwise circle on the floor. The more throttle I give it, the faster it spins in a circle. I have no manual on the controller so I'm not exactly sure what all the functions are and I am also not familiar with the names of all the levers and adjustments.
Second. There is a trainer switch on the upper left side of the controller. I'm not sure what it does and I'm not sure if it is supposed to lock in a forward or rear position like the 3d switch. What happens is this; when I pull the switch toward me, it doesn't hold that position. when I let go the switch, it returns to the position away from me. I don't know if this is normal or if I have a defective controller.
Sorry for the long winded posting. I'm at a total loss. Any info would be helpful.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
rusirius

Default RE: Esky honey bee 2

Alright, lesse... First, check the trim tab on the controller for the rudder. Make sure it's not shoved all the way to the right (would make it spin clockwise). Assuming it's centered, the next thing would be adjusting the pitch of the rotor. I'm not familer with the honey bee (or any of the micros for that matter). I'm not sure if the pitch is "adjustable" through a servo or linkage, or rather it just varies the speed of a motor to control the pitch. If it's the first case, you'll need to change the length of the linkage to adjust it...
If it's the later there are two possibilities...
First, when it starts spinning clockwise, what happens if you hold the left stick all the way to the left? Does it keep going but slow down? Does it stop? Does it go the opposite direction?
If it slows down or goes the opposite direction, then you'll just need to adjust the "neutral" pitch....
If it doesn't affect it at all, then it sounds like you've lost the tail rotor entirely.. (probably a burned out motor)...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 PM
tanasit

ORIGINAL: wombat201

I am a newborn baby when it comes to flying a heli and I have a couple of questions because I'm lost.
First. As I give it throttle, the heli spins in a clockwise circle on the floor. The more throttle I give it, the faster it spins in a circle. I have no manual on the controller so I'm not exactly sure what all the functions are and I am also not familiar with the names of all the levers and adjustments.
Second. There is a trainer switch on the upper left side of the controller. I'm not sure what it does and I'm not sure if it is supposed to lock in a forward or rear position like the 3d switch. What happens is this; when I pull the switch toward me, it doesn't hold that position. when I let go the switch, it returns to the position away from me. I don't know if this is normal or if I have a defective controller.
Sorry for the long winded posting. I'm at a total loss. Any info would be helpful.
The switch you mentioned is called the trainer switch and it is a spring back type. You will need 2 TX and a cable to connect the two, one TX will be in the trainer hand and when you as the trainee are in trouble, the trainer can just flip the switch to take over the control.
You said the heli spins in clockwise circle, which means there is too much rudder and you can lower it by either changing the rudder trim to the left or change the gain and proportion setting on the 4in1. You can NOT adjust the pitch from the TX and for now I don't think you need to.
Here is how to adjust the Gyro:

The 2 terms being used on the all in one controller are similar to GAIN and PROPORTION on the other controller.
The GAIN or LIMIT will set the strength or sensitivity of how much the rudder response to the yaw movement, normally set at 90% and go down from there.
The PROPORTION or DELAY will dictate the amount of signal sending to the rudder control per unit time, again good starting point is 90%.

The DELAY should be set first, you want to set it so that the rudder speed is proportion to the rotor speed. If the heli is on the ground and the throttle is a lowest position, move the heli side to side by hand, if the tail spins you have to decrease the DELAY.
Then fly the heli and adjust the LIMIT, if the tail osscilates then the gain must be reduced the LIMIT but if you reduce it too much the nose will not stay put.

One manual suggests that you set both at 90% then go down from there if needed. On my Esky 3D, the gain stays around 85% (arrow points at 7 o'clock) and the proportion is about 75% (arrow points at 3 o'clock), this is with 1800 mAH lithium pack.

Look down, the rotor turns clockwise so the body would want to counteract by turning to the left (nose to the left that is), now come the rudder to help pulling the nose to the right (pushing the tail to the left that is). So if you need to trim the rudder to the left (nose moves to right when fly), which means the rudder has TOO MUCH power then you must LOWER the proprotion by turning the pot counter clockwise. If the tail oscillates, then the gain must be reduced (as mentioned above).

It is okay to have to adjust the trim on the TX, sometimes it changes with ambient temperature or the efficiency of the motor(s).
Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 PM
wombat201

Thanks,
I really appreciate you breaking that down for me in a fashion that's easy to understand. I had the heli for just a few minutes before I damaged a main blade. I already put in an order for extra blades and I'll try adjusting the gain & proportional like you said. I think it'll do the trick.
I'll keep you and everyone else reading this posted.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:15 AM
jolllyroger

on the honeybee first turn the gyro all the way down counter clockwise, otherwise the gyro will make setting the tail rotor mix difficult. Next turn the proportional all the way one way........it must be unplugged and plugged back in to reinitilize each time you change it ....the gyro dosent need reinitilizing..........ok now hold the heli off the ground by the tail boom to prevent crash damage until it is adjusted close to neutral.........next throttle up until you can feel that it would hover.........you should feel it trying to yaw ...tail rotor trying to turn the tail.......throttle down then adjust the proportional all the way the other way.......unplug reinitilize and repeat the hold heli and throttle up......now it should be trying to turn the other way....if not your main blades may be set up with to much positive or negative pitch.........now throttle down unplug and turn the propotional back the other way but not as far as the first time.....plug in and throttle up....go back and forth with the proportional this way bracketing in to a position that the heli will only drift slighty while at a hover........now set down heli and lift off slightly or with training gear on get real light on skids........if heli only drifts slightly you can throttle down and turn the gain (gyro) up all the way clockwise.....throttle up til light on skids...if tail waggs slowly turn down gyro untill wagg goes away.........now your ready to fly......by the way with the gyro set this way pirouettes are slow and tail response is as well the gyro fights the tail control....you can turn down the gyro until you like its setting.........just below wagging is usually best for begginers