Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Raptor 30 decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
PutU2Sleep
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 30 decision

Question for the experts out there!!

I looking to get a Raptor 30 for my first heli after all the information that I have gathered from forums and what not. I found a deal on ebay, here are the specs the heli is supposed be in pristine condition with no crashes, there are pictures and they appear to show a good looking heli. Here are the specs:

1 Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 Helicopter

1 OS 32 Helicopter Engine

1 Futaba FP-7UHP Super Computer Radio Transmitter with crystal

1 Futaba FP-R127DF 7 Channel Receiver with crystal

1 CSM ICG 360 Heading Lock Gyro

5 Futaba S3003 Ball Bearing Servos

1 1200mAh Receiver Battery

1 Set of Main Rotor Blades

Copies of the Helicopter Manual, Transmitter Manual, Gyro Manual, and OS .32 engine manual

Let me know what you guys think..............Thanks again

Matt
Old 01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Raptor 30 decision

Looks like a pretty good beginner heli. Is it the V1 or V2 (not that it matters)? How much do you think you can get it for? Is it new or used? If it's used, a good starting point for buying used RC stuff is half price of what it cost new (if it is in good shape and not wore out). That's the down fall of buying off Ebay, you real don't know what your getting, it could be completely wore out, just be careful and ask the seller lots of questions (has it ever been crashed, how old is it, how much fuel has gone through it, ect, ect, ect).
Old 01-24-2005, 06:02 PM
rusirius

Yeah, Charlie pretty much nailed it. YES, assuming it's not completely worn out it'll make a great ship for you. I'm going to assume since you didn't mention V2, and if the auction doesn't mention V2, it will be a V1... (You can tell cause the V1 looks like it just swallowed a soft-ball.. ) The under "belly" of it is kinda swolen out and buldgy... The V2 is pretty slender and more "darty" looking. Anyway, it's a good radio, good heli, (even if it is V1, it can be converted to a V2 with a kit that I THINK is around $80?) It's a decent gyro, though you'd be better off (Especially with that gyro) replacing the tail rotor servo with a fast digital one). All in all I'd say it's probably worth about..... $400 or so... Anything more and it's just not worth it.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:21 PM
PutU2Sleep

Thanks for all the info guys!! It is a V1, it swallowed the softball........lol. What kind of difference does the conversion kit to V2 do? Also do you recommend any particular type of digital servo, should I get a Futaba one since thats what the radio is?

Matt
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Charlie

If you do get it, don't worry about the conversion kit or new servos, that setup will work fine for someone starting out. When you advance with your flying, you will know when it is time to upgrade.

Don't go out and spend a lot of money on upgrades until you know your going to stick with the hobby. After some people get a heli they find out the heli hobby isn't for them, so if you buy a bunch of upgrades and find out helis aren't for you, it will just be a wast of money. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 PM
PutU2Sleep

Thanks, I won the auction for $400.00, so hopefully I didn't get screwed, thanks again for the advice. Oh another question is I think I need a torque starter and glow starter, I'm looking at another auction through rc-hobby.com that has a field box combo for $120. I put the link to it below, does it seem reasonable? This is what is included:

Ultra Tote
12V Charger
Torq Master 90
Deluxe Power Panel
Torq Master LC Battery
Panel Ready Locking Glow Plug Clip
Recoil Fuel Tubing
Top Fueler 6/12VPump
GPM Filing Station Fuel Can Fitting Set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Thanks once again,

Matt
Old 01-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Charlie

That's not to bad of a deal, it will definitely get you in the air.

I should say that I'm not to failure with USA prices.

Your links not working, here it is if anyone else wants to look.
[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5951543893]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5951543893[/link]
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM
rusirius

Yeah, exactly... Till you get into forward flight and starting into some flips and stuff you don't even need to worry about changing it up. Eventually when you get more into aerobatics you'll start to notice the tail doesn't hold quite as well as it should with that setup. (standard servo and that gyro)... Basically there are two choices... The gy401 (or 240 if you don't want remote gain settings) will lock pretty well with a standard servo... The CSM will work pretty well with a digital servo... The ultimate really is a 401 (or 240) and a 9253/4 servo. Again, don't worry about it till it starts to become a problem...

As for the V1 to V2 conversion... It will make it a little more stable, takes a little slop out of the head, and makes the cyclic response a little crisper. That's about it.

WHEN the time comes, you'll want to get a decent set of fiberglass or CF blades... The woodies are great for learning to hover (not expensive to replace), but have too much flex once you start getting more advanced.

All in all you got a great deal and you'll be VERY happy with it! Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:20 PM
rusirius

Ohh and the field box... Depends on you really.. It's not too bad of a deal, but a lot of it you can do without too... Here's the items you absolutely NEED to have to get in the air....

12V Starter
Hex Starter Shaft
12V Field Battery
Pitch Gauge
Glow Ignitor
Fuel Pump

That's really it... There are lots of extras that would be nice to have, but those are the requirements...

If you wanted to go "nice" you can get a field box, with power panel, etc... Like the one in the auction... You reallly outta have a small rechargable glow ignitor (most use a sub-c nicad)... You really don't want to be messing around with the cord, especially on a heli.. Just a pain... You'd also need pitch gauge and starter shaft....

The other way to go is cheaper.... Use a tackle box or something for your tools and parts.... Get a manual fuel pump (a few bucks). You'll still need the starter and starter shaft, but a lot of guys I know use the small portable "jump start" packs.... You can get them at sears or whereever... You plug them in to charge, and they are made to carry in the car in case your battery dies... Just use that as your field batter for the charger....

It just depends on how nice and fancy you want to get... Accessories like ball-link pliers, tach (OPTICAL!), etc.. are nice to have too....
Old 01-24-2005, 09:21 PM
PutU2Sleep

Thanks again for the all advice!!! I can't wait to try it out.........After practicing on my sim of course.

Take care

Matt