Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

T-REX OPINIONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-REX OPINIONS

OK:

Im looking at buying a T-REX. SOOOOOO I'd like peoples opinion on the heli. Good Points Bad points. and what is required to fly it, Gyro? Number of channels, ect Radio size, ESC size. All info appreciated.

Thanks Alan
Old 01-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: T-REX OPINIONS

I have had one since October and love it,it is a great little Heli it is stock except that I have the Phoenix 25 and the futba 240 gyro on it and I have a CNC swash purchased for it,I have mine just for fun I don't use it to cut my grass with the rotor blades it has a head speed of 2200 RPM which is more than enough and I run a Thunder Power 3c 2100Mah lipo on it and get around 10 minutes of flight but again I don't do tricks with it I leave that to the Hot Dogs.As for the Phoenix 25 I called the people at Castle Creations and spoke to them about the 25-35 controversy and they told me that there are many people that use the 25 with no problems and if I have not had any problems as of yet I won't at all.They told me that most of the problems reported to them were because of a poorly set up Heli such as cheap servos or tight linkages that bind up.My radio is the Hitec Eclipse 7 with the spectra module and I have all four of my heli's on it and it works very well from my lowly little Honey Bee to my JR Voyager E.As for channels there are five on the Trex in the stock mode unless you feel the need to spend the money on a Futaba 401 gyro in that case you need six my 240 works just fine and holds the heli just fine and so you don't really need a super radio to run it.As for good points and bad points I don't really know what you are looking for,for me it is great I like it and it is allot of fun but each Heli is different out of all four of mine none of them fly the same they all have their little quirks but they all are fun and all are electric.One thing I forgot the manual to put it together totally sucks it is very hard to understand if you have never built before and you sometimes need to sit back and look at the picture and the heli to see what goes where other than that it is a great little heli.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:37 PM
grasscutter73
My Feedback: (2)

Moe,

How do you like the voyager E? Also, which do you prefer - the TRex or Shogun? What the major difference between the flight characteristics of the TRex/Shogun and the E-sky Honeybee2?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

My Voyager is great,I really like the CCPM it seems more responsive than the regular swash on my Trex and the Shogun is up for sale on the market place I would rather put my money into my Trex and Voyager.I only have the honey bee not the collective pitch I just use it to mess around in the house and chase my wife's cats with,it flys like all small heli's a little slow on the sticks compared with my other two heli's.All in all I really enjoy all my birds the voyager is my outside heli and my Trex is outside when the wind is not blowing,also I fly my voyager indoors when our electric flight group gets together and fly's at the Air Force Academy Field House now that is a rush to fly it indoors with no chance of wind or weather and a big 30 size electric.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
rusirius

fireplug,
If you've followed the other thread, you know I was SUPPOSED to be getting a trex in the mail today... So far it hasn't shown up, though UPS insists it's still on time.... We'll see... Anyway, when it does get here, I will be posting my thoughts and opinions on it... The main reason I went with the Trex is it looks like it's built a lot better than some of the others I looked at (shogun etc...). The mechanics of it look a LOT like my raptor. Time will tell....
Old 02-02-2005, 12:14 AM
rh2

TRex - great little heli.....

32 flights (all indoors - it's winter here)
SetUp:
400L 35 amp esc
3 Align 9g / 1 Align 6g - tail
Futuba 401 gyro
XL kit installed (335 mains longer tail boom)
Thunder Power 2100 mAH packs
Flight TIme: 10~11 minutes

Temps: (After 10 min flight)
ESC 135F
Motor 210F
Battery 135F

This heli is in my "Solid Machine" catagory (I have 7 different helis)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
avi8er

I must preface with the fact that I am new to collective, but I have a fair amount of time on fixed pitch. Enough to know I wanted a CP I finished setting up my Trex today, here is what I did;
Electron 6 Rx
Futaba GY240 gyro
Hitec HS-56HB (x3)
MPI MX-50HP (fastest I can find, 23 oz @ .078s)
Align 400L 2500kv/15t pinion
Castle Creations 35A
I will be picking up the battery tomorrow, probably the E-tec 2500mah 3s2p (30A continuous [sm=thumbup.gif])

I am sure some of you can relate, I had to throw my older 2100 (6C) in just to spin it up. HOLY *%^&, is this a hot little ship! I hovered it around the living room a little but the speed controller indicated that that was all I could do. I will post again after I have had a real flight with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:37 AM
avi8er

Well I have run a few cycles through the Trex and I am loving it! I can't say how long the 2500 lasts because I am doing a lot of tuning to it. I had a gliching problem and took it to the local hobby shop, the heli guy helped me fix it and then we were out back of the store fighting over the controller. From my stand point, the L400 is a good motor, it definately has bang for the buck and plenty of juice. A couple of times I spun it up and then launched straight into a vertical climbout, it goes up like a model rocket. Definately rock solid, I had to set up dual rates because it WANTS to do aerobatics more then I do, but it tames down nicely and is not intimidating for a beginner (once the visual of dollar signs fades from it's background [X(]) The only thing I have changed to my original setup is a ball link upgrade and a whip antena. Got to go, I can hear the charger going off, time to fly!
Old 03-11-2005, 02:59 PM
fireplug1111

AVI8ER:

Hey man did Chris set it up for you?

I had him help me with a few helis.. Hes a cool dude and a good person for advice.. Im almost sure I will be taking it to him when I get mine.

Right now im building my SHOGUN 400 and im hoping to smash it up a few times before I destroy my T-REX.
Hey dude we need to get a micro heli club going. we need one here in central Fl.

Alan
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 PM
avi8er

Yeah, Chris has been a good bad influence for me. I actually had it pretty well set up when I took it in for gliching. After we fixed that he gave a few suggestions for tuning the curves. Great guy to talk with, lots of info. I would be all for starting a little club but I am leaving for the Army in just over a week. I am just trying to get as many cycles through the Trex before I mothball it. I was able to justify getting the really good charger because it would cycle the battery more then twice as fast. From what I have seen there is more then enough people in Central FL to start a micro heli club, have Chris mention it to all the people that go to him for help. Best of luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 PM
fireplug1111

Will do man:

ARMY I had my fill 10 years 3 in a RU-21 and 9 in a UH-1H. Crewchief on them both.

Be safe Alan
Old 03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
avi8er

Careful man, saying you flew in a CH-21 (I assume they are the same) dates you pretty far back. [X(]
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
fireplug1111

Yea im old. It wasnt a CH-21 its a RU-21 recon . electronic warfare. stationed at the 138th aviation in Orlando for 3 years. I got tired of looking at the tops of clouds so I went rotorwing. UH-1H. went to Bragg for 6 years then to Ft rucker. That place really SUX.
Anyways. Im looking to get mt T-rex soon I just got a 7 channel off e bay and im hoping to get it up in the air soon.

Alan
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
avi8er

Sorry to hear that about Rucker, I am gonna spend a lot of time there []. What type of 7 did you get? Let me know when you have your Trex put together, there are a few thgings in the manual for setup that should be omitted from the beginning, I am finding these slowly. Do you have a heli flying right now? I sometimes go to the old Navy base to fly, we should meet up sometime. I am trying to get as many cycles through the heli as I can before I leave, so I am always up to fly.