Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite maneuver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

What is your favorite maneuver

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
vallon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your favorite maneuver

This goes out to all of you RC Helicopter lovers. What is your favorite maneuver to perform. Now in my possition, I have not flown my own yet, but have flown the flight sim many times so even you flight sim only guys can participate. I will start. My favorite maneuver right now, and this may change later, is doing loops. This just feels good for some reason and looks nice. Being that forward flight is all I can do right now, I also like letting it drop to a point of speeding it up to go a high speed pass in front of me and then pulling it back up again. These things are so fun to fly, I just can't wait to fly my real one. Now it's your turn. Share your excitement with me.

Christopher Gaines
Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
_Buzz_

Default RE: What is your favorite maneuver

That ones dead easy....absolutely no contest...my favourite is A NICE SOFT LANDING !!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

hovering
Old 02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
vallon

OH yes there is nothing better than a nice landing. Whether it be a helicopter or an air plane. Hovering is fun. It's kind of funny. I am still not super good at hovering, but I can fly the copter around and can always get it to a hover so that I can land. I am still not that good at keeping it in one spot though. I can keep it from going all over the place at least.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
1ight

Im trying to concentrate on flares now. Doing them low to the ground where the heli just stops without gaining height ... and then setting it down for a nice landing ... Being smooth is the key. I think it just looks awesome when done right ... Happy flying !
Old 02-10-2005, 05:05 PM
WhtBronco

Mine favorite is inverted flight right now. Course our favorite thing will change for all of us frequently. I have 15 flights on my Raptor 50, so inverted flight is very challenging still. Thank god for sims or I'd still be hovering I bet.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:43 PM
ChopperMike

I'm only just starting out learning 3D on G3 so I'd have to say my favorite maneuver is the auto.

Mike
Old 02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
vallon

Yeah I still have the now old G2 sim. I am practicing 3D flight myself, but right now it is still too tricky. I will get it eventually though. That is harder than hovering in my opinion. One of my favorite 3D moves when ever I learn how to do it, is when you can make your heli do what looks like loops, but doing it in place. It is doing like back flips in place. One spot in the middle of the air.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
yard pilot

I hate to sound like a typical pilot but I'll say it anyway.

I was a licensed as a commercial pilot for about 5 years, never flew big jets, I flew a King Air 200 on medevac contract, some charters, and Twin Otter on floats, tundra wheels, and skis. Maybe because I was a junior pilot most of my career, the smoth landings are what we prided ourselves on over anything else, Skis, floats, gravel, tarmac. Particularly if it was gusty or high winds.

Nothing like "Greasing it on" with the perfect amount flare and power. Passengers wouldn't know you touched! (well in our minds)

Anyhow, I'm new at this RC heli thing, but Nothing beats a smooth landing. Haven't done it yet though!

Joke: How do you know if there is pilot at a bar?

...........He will tell you. =-P
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 PM
1ight

I should add that I try to make my RC heli resemble a full size heli meaning that every manouver is nice and smooth (ok ... i try to make it nice and smooth ... maybe in practice it doesnt look that great) BUT I guess the biggest reward is when you can make your heli do exactly what you want it to do. I sometimes find that 'slow' manouvers are the hardest but coolest looking .. (to me anyways... )
Old 02-10-2005, 08:19 PM
asteele73

My favorite maneuver is bringing my venture 30 back home to mother earth safe and sound. I've been flying for 2 years now and still get the same feeling of accomplishment when I bring my heli home in one piece[8D].
Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

My Favorite maneuver has to be the all time best. I have the GWS DRAGONFLY and I love to get it into a "retreating blade stall". Its awesome.....
Lets see someone beat that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:32 PM
yard pilot

What is a "retreating blade stall". Sounds expensive??? =-P
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

Yea a retreating blade stall can be expensive depending on the way you look at it. then again it most likely will not cost you a single penny. But all in all its awesome. Try it sometime.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Favorite Maneuver....hmmm

NOT CRASHING.

Seriously, I like piroetteing circles, low and slow. I like the scale side of helicopters, so anything that looks realistic is cool with me.

Id have to agree with 1ight. Slow maneuvers are the more difficult ones, because they require lots of skill.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
vallon

I am wanting to get into that. Can you give me any information on where to purchase scale model Helis? That is another one of my favorite maneuvers as long as I don't crash. I like doing low hovering period. Well more of a low slow forward flight, not hover.

Christopher Gaines
Old 02-11-2005, 06:41 PM
bdavison

Well, I too am just getting started in helicopters. I just got my Hirobo XRB. Its a scale heli of the Lama.

Heres a pic of a real Lama in action, a detailed diagram of the Lama, and the RC version I have now. Eventually Im thinking about getting a full CP heli with a hughes 500 body, but that's gonna be a while, I have to learn how to fly this thing real good first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66399.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	228008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42295.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	228009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71781.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	228010  
Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 AM
adarsh_007

My favourite,

Regards,

Adarsh www.adarsh007.com
Bangalore, India.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:34 AM
rjm1982

I used to be impressed by all the inverted 3d stuff. Not so much anymore.

It seems that most pilots rush to get to the 3d and never master smooth normal flight. My favorite maneuver is the whole flight, when I fly like there is a little pilot in there and keep him comfortable. Seriously. There are guys at my field that can do any 3d maneuver you can think of (and do it nicely, these are damned good pilots, for 3d) but cant make a silky smooth circuit in forward flight. One guy actually flies backwards because he has a hard time flying forwards...figure that out.

So while 3d stuff takes talent, and I'm not shorting anyone of that, I would rather see a helicopter fly smooth like a real helicopter. And a nose in flared landing is a thing of beauty.