Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

One last question about Transmitters?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

One last question about Transmitters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 AM
yard pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One last question about Transmitters?

Sorry guys, I hope I'm not using my "dumb nubie question" vouchers all at once. It's just that I want to be sure about what I'm ordering from an online store before I pay up. I've asked them questions, and they respond 4 days later...

I'm plannig on ordering a "Trex 450X Lightening Brushless Combo" from Hellihobby.

This HeliHobby custom package comes with the following parts: $475

- KX015005A T-REX 450X EP-Helicopter base kit
- JGF400DH JustGoFly Outrunner 400 DH 4400kv Motor
- CASTLE-PHX-25 Phoenix 25 Brushless Sensorless ESC
- KA910001A Align Super Micro Servo (Torque)
- KA910010A Align Super Micro Servo (Speed)
- HRC25272 Hitec Micro Electron 6 receiver Futaba/Hitec dual Shift
- TLBGR301 Super Micro Heading Hold Gyro
- HH412 E-Tech 3C 1200mAH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning on ordering the Futaba 7CH from SurvoCity

7CH Transmitter Only $169.99 with FREE Battery Monitor!

#SC8002
(1) Transmitter
(1) Frequency Flag
(1) Transmitter Crystal
(1) 700mah Tx Battery
(1) Tx/Rx Charger
(1) Neck Strap
(1) Manual

So... am I right, I don't need to pay for a TX with servos and reciever because the T-Rex Combo from Helihobby has included them in the package? I JUST NEED THE TRANSMITTER from SurvoCity if I order this combo pack from Helihobby right???

Do you guys recommend this, or is there a reason to have the original Futaba survos & reciever?

Secondly, What channel do I order it in? is the number arbitrary, I just pick any channel? and how does this effect what crystal to use? The crystal goes in the reciever right?

I guess what I don't understand is how do I ensure I order the components that make the transmitter talk to the reciever in the heli? What do I need to tell Hellihobby and SurvoCity when I order these pieces?

Thanks so much guys for the help.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 AM
rbiasi

Default RE: One last question about Transmitters?

The RX in the package "talks futaba" so you're good there. If you read the fine print on the helihobby combo it mentions that the RX crystal isn't included in the package and has a link to a page where you can order a crystal. You usually order the crystal frequency by channel number. Just make sure that you order your TX and RX crystal with the same channel number.

As far as picking channel numbers. If you have another heli that you would like to use with your TX then you might want to order your TX for that channel (of course you could also change the crystal in the RX on the old heli). There is a page on the AMA website that lists channel numbers and frequencies. When I was talking to Tom at servo city a few days ago he only had the 7CHin stock in a few channels. So that might be the deciding factor if you want it NOW!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
yard pilot

Yes ! Thank you rbiasi

You answered my question, after posting this I realized why these companies quote combos with servos and Tr. They assume you have a TX and have used your servos and Tr on another model.

Obviously a person isn't going to switch out these parts when you change helis, so they sell these parts as part of the unit.

The person would need the crystal (chanel) because when you buy another reciever, they don'y know what channel your Tx in set up on, so I would need to specify that to them so they can ship the appropriate crystal with the unit.

Do I have this right? PLease someone just type YES or NO. Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
rbiasi

Most of the Radio manufacturers sell a complete system, TX, RX, and servos. So this is how the shops stock and sell it. A complete system. However, the RX and servos that come with these systems are ususally too big to put in a micro heli. So unless you have another plane, heli, car, or boat that you want to use them in you're buying about $100 worth of stuff that you won't use.

From what I understand (I'm not a EE or RF expert...) the TX is tuned at the factory to a specific frequency (the exception being the HiTech TXs with spectra module). So you don't want to change the crystal in your TX. However the RXs are designed to run on any frequency. So it's ok to pop a new crystal into the RX to match your TX.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The Futaba 9C and Hitec Optic 6 both have TX modules instead of crystals, and can accept a synth module that will allow tuning of any channel within the band (although the synth module for the 9C hasn't be released yet). I have a 9CHP for my heli & planes, and it's great. If I had to save some $$, I'd probably go with the Optic 6 over the 7C, though, so I could still get modules for the TX instead of having to send it in for retuning. The Optic 6 is only $129 at ServoCity with a freq module... $179 gets you the Optic 6 with the synth module. I don't think servo city has any in stock at the moment but I believe Tower has the Optic 6 with the synth module in stock for $179...
Old 02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say stick with the Futaba radio. Its a far better radio.

Say for instance you order your Tx on ch 16, and you order a Rx crystal on 16. Your all set to fly on 16. If you want to use the radio with another aircraft, just put a ch 16 crystal in the receiver and go.

If later on you decide to up the frequency from ch 16 in the tx to say...ch 38...your gonna have to get the radio re-tuned to run in that frequency band. (synthesized radios excluded) You can just plug a ch38 crystal in the tx, it wont mess it up, but you will lose about 20% of your range. On average a radio repair place, such as Radio South will normally charge about $49 bucks to do this.

If your planning on flying with the local guys, find out what ch's everyone else is flying at the local meets, and then pick a ch they're not using. This way you dont have to wait for someone to finish before you can fly.

Little tips.
If your flying indoors in a building that has a steel truss roof, go up in ch's...like 36 and above. I've gotten quite a few hits on the lower channels from reflections off the trusses. Apparently the trusses are "tuned" just right to cause blips. Just my theory though. Your experiences may vary.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bdavison
I'd say stick with the Futaba radio. Its a far better radio.
Can you explain why you think the Futaba is a "better" radio than the Hitec?