Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Everything you should NOT do - Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Everything you should NOT do - Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Everything you should NOT do - Video

Let's see:
- Confined area
- Not hovering very well
- No experience pilot around
- Spectators

[link=http://www.lowvoltagetech.com/Heli/heli%20flight%204%20with%20crash.wmv]Oh my goodness[/link]

What else?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM
rusirius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything you should NOT do - Video

How about the "I can't hover worth a crap, but I'm gonna try to piro" yeah, that sounds like a good idea...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I know exactly what happened there. It got nose in, and started moving, and he went to correct...only wrong way because it was nose in, and it moved faster, and he applied more, and WHAM.

If your gonna try a piroette, best to learn nose in first, or at least whip it around fast, so its not nose in very long.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Hey I remember those days. THe only difference was I had a LMH110 and the crashes didn't cost as much.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:24 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

HEHEHEHEHEHE:

AWESOME....... Pinhead. luckily he didnt hurt anyone.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:06 PM
xanadu_vector
My Feedback: (5)

That's a pretty low altitude to practice rolls... Man, thats not a confined area, he must have just skipped the simulator. I hope the camera lady got hazardous duty pay for that excellent footage.

I bet that if he did reorient himself and correct it properly enough to avoid the dirt it would've hit him.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:52 AM
RotorNut

gotta learn to crawl first. good example of what not to do. you got lucky on that one.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Spaceman Spiff

No doubt he learned a few things.
Most important of all...

Never, ever let your wife film you!

Sounded like he was going to start to cry right at the end.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 PM
bdavison

Ah yes, another valuable lesson in helicopter repair.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Pathogens
Banned

Thanks bdavison for your mighty wisdom there.

Its obvious that you know what you are talking about cause you have so many nitro machines...
Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

PATHOGENS:

Do I detect some hostility there. :-) I might have to agree with your comment, However it does look like he has had an orientation problem there as these are the same issues im dealing with on my heli so I practice on me reflex. its cheaper.

Anyways I think it was funny that he let his wife film it. Good think no one got hurt. and I think he might have learned a lesson. If it was me I never would have put that video on here.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:48 AM
1ight

I think this video is really beneficial for those who think that flying in your back yard ... with people watchin is a good idea. Maybe .. it will deter someone from doing something like that in the future. It just shows you how fast things can go really wrong. Luckly the only thing that sustained any damage is the guy's ego .. and of course his heli.
(so ... for those of you who were thinking about doing it ... learn from his mistakes ... its cheaper and safer that way)
Old 03-21-2005, 01:49 AM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

What a waste of a good heli.

I do fly my heli in my back yard. My back yard has a clearing in it about 70' wide by about 20' deep. The first time I flew back there was very early on, with the hula hoop and I hadn't got the feel down for inputs. Well, I wound up getting too far away and cut down some shurbbery, and then later whacked a oak tree with the tail taking off the tail blades, planting the heli on the ground resulting in a boom strike which cost me new tail rotor blades, tail boom, and main blades. The head axle, torque tube, and main shaft survived intact and true.

After practicing more, and getting excellent help from my friend Brent, I was able to maintain a controllable hover in his driveway, even a smaller area then my back yard. So, now since gaining the skill to control the machine, I'm able to safely hover it in my back yard without incident. Occassionally my Mom comes out onto the back portch to watch.

It seems this guy could hover, but obviously wasn't prepaired for nose-in. In my case, I'm pretty capable of nose-in in Reflex, but haven't got up the balls yet to conquer the fear of doing it with the real thing. Heck, I still have the hula-hoop on. I'm taking my time
Old 03-22-2005, 11:58 AM
rctradertwo

he was so close to completing the turn. just a little faster rotation and he wouldnt have almost ripped his wifes head off....holy @#$% that could have been messy. i do have to hand it to him for not thinking $ and cranking the trottle up to get it off the ground. that really would have been ugly. i have gotten some bruises the same way but that was with my honeybee in my living room.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Thing was almost there... Seems like he freaked and gave left aileron and down elevator when he panicked...

The best part of the video, if you play the section when it starts to piro, right after it goes in ya hear the wife give the old "there goes $1000 bucks" S word.

Feel bad but hey, at least noone got hurt
Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Thing was almost there... Seems like he freaked and gave left aileron and down elevator when he panicked...

The best part of the video, if you play the section when it starts to piro, right after it goes in ya hear the wife give the old "there goes $1000 bucks" S word.

Feel bad but hey, at least noone got hurt
Old 03-25-2005, 10:29 AM
pileit

OMG [X(] that is the first time i`ve seen a large nitro crash upclose.been WACKED by my hb2 several times in early days(trying same thing) got bruised shins & ego.iust how bad have some of you older,wiser guys seen happen? looks like it could be lethal.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:01 AM
pow_surfer

I think he would have made it without the training gear. I love piroin' around the underground parking with the hummingbird. Smaller bird, but smaller space, and I've only scared the crap out of a mazda. I loved that line though, 'I tried to turn it, all I seen was, it was coming at my face' *gasp*

careful yall...
Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 AM
jolllyroger

tip speed on a nitro heli is in the neighbor hood of 260 mph.........lethal yes ..............seen a rotor blade thrown into a fence buried into a 2 x 4 deep enough that if it was a skull you'd lose more brain cells than a night on the town would cause..........much caution is necessary and i would rather fly my heli off into the wild blue to crash in an unoccupied place than even get close to people............i just hate when people don't get behind the cyclone fence at our field when a heli is flying.......i get back there and stay below the fence too..........it could still get me but way less likely
Old 10-24-2005, 12:39 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Ouch [&:]

Bet that crash stung his wallet pretty hard.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:15 AM
polstery

I've seen dumber things on the net.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

I think learning nose in (on a bigger heli) is best done in the air aslong as you're good with your rudder stick. Get a comfortable height up, and bring the nose around. If you start losing it, whip the tail around and bring it back to you so you can regain control. It takes less than a second to accomplish a recover if you're losing control in nose in. It's a method that's been working great for me, I can do slow piros near the ground now .
Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 AM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

if you call that confined space you should see where i fly my x400 lol. doing figure 8's between my car & a concrete wall (basically a compact car parking space). only lost it once when i was going really fast, too much coentrifugal force pushed the heli out more than i thought, and i clipped the tail rotor on my tire lol...the only thing broken was a blade grip.

maybe considering the size of that heli it was small though. what was it, an R50? R60?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I hate to see the Heli lost. but I kinda have to laugh. It was a very good thing that he didn't put that thing through the window of that house. I never really flew a heli except for on real flight. I am still really not confortable to go and try the real thing. not without good help.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:16 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used that in my RC Helicopter crash music video volume 1.1

Volume 1.1 - 14 Megs In Windows V9 format
Volume 1.1 - 18 Meg in High Quality Quicktime format

Rc Helicopter Crash Video Version 2 - Even the best have "Bad Days"

10 Megs In Windows V9 format

13 Meg in High Quality Quicktime format

I am also looking for more helicopter crash video. If you have some good crash footage not featured in the above Volume 2 video or in Volume 1.1 please PM me and I will send you upload instructions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.