Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

New to choppers need advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

New to choppers need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:48 AM
MonsterDad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to choppers need advice

I am a real beginner to this hobby. What helicopter would be the best to learn with? Also would you go electric or gas? I am looking to get into it without spending a lot of money to begin with. Then if I can get the hang of flying these I can upgrade.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New to choppers need advice

Get a sim. You can't get into the hobby without spending money. If you try to do it cheap, you will get junk, get frusterated and quit, and have thrown away everything you spent. If you like flying on the sim, then you can get a heli. If you don't, you are not out a lot of money and sims can be sold.

If you don't have a lot of money to waste, don't buy junk helis. Fly the sim first. It will pay for itself many times over
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monsterdad, sorry but to do things right, as a minimum you're looking at a $600.00 LMH corona plus battery packs and charger. You could buy a lot of cheap stuff, but by the time you get it flying reliably you've spent the same, if not more, than if you just did it right the first time.

Why the corona? Available, US made, incredibly durable, and incredibly cheap to fix, lots of aftermarket hop ups,

If you can fly a LMH you can fly anything.

http://www.litemachines.com/

Go to products, look up Model 120 corona for details

HTH Tom
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
MonsterDad

Thank you for your advice. I know that there will be some cost involved to get good stuff. What sim would you suggest that would be realistic enough to give me good experience before taking a real one to the field?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Realflight G3 and Reflex look the best but "real" flying and flying on the sim are NEVER going to be the same. I picked up an old copy of Realflight G2 on eBay and have not crashed my "real" helicopter... yet (knock knock)

As good or better than a sim and fun indoor flying...
http://www.ehobbies.com/ehobbies-com...b-0301904.html

And you will want pack A and B for spare blades
Old 04-08-2005, 10:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

If your thinking of "taking it to the field" you might want to think along the lines of a 30 or 50 sized nitro. They perform better outdoors, are easier to see, more stable and in general easier to fly. They also cost more initially and to crash.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:34 AM
rusirius

ORIGINAL: MonsterDad
Thank you for your advice. I know that there will be some cost involved to get good stuff. What sim would you suggest that would be realistic enough to give me good experience before taking a real one to the field?
I'm a huge advocate of Reflex XTR... I own Aerofly Pro Deluxe, owned G2 for years before I sold it, and have spent considerable time on G3... Out of all of them honestly Reflex is FAR better overall when it comes to helis... Graphics are AWESOME (see below), helis fly ULTRA realistic (in fact, my pitch and throttle curves are even exactly the same between my REAL raptor and the Reflex raptor.) The feel out of the box is extremely realistic. I spent a few weeks on a sim, went to the field with the real thing, and the first time I hovered, had some training gear issues, so I took the stupid things off... Went on and did forward flight on my first flight, was doing loops and rolls by my 3rd and 5th flight, inverted flight by my 10th flight, etc.etc.etc... I was ASTONISHED at how close the sim and the real thing were... There is however ONE down side to reflex... You MUST have your own radio already... And it MUST be a heli capable radio... (since it is programmed with throttle and pitch curves just like a real heli)... BUT, if you buy a good radio to begin with, once you move on to the real thing you'll already have it, so really no loss... Bottom line... You get good with any sim and your going to get one HECK of a head start on the real thing... Get good with Reflex, and you should have no problem at all with the real one....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65990.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	255677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31723.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	255678  
Old 04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

I started on the sim and after logging 100 hours on it took the plunge I decided to go Collective pitch because of my great sim time(NOT RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYONE)I purchased a Trex built it and hovered for a full pack the first time.My sim was real flight G2 only because it was the only one that would run on a laptop but if I had the computer I would say REFLEX hands down.I now have two electrics and because of some very strong support from good friends on this forum I am expanding my horizons this summer and probably going to spring for a Raptor 50 kit well if I can get the $800.00 needed to get it together.I would say do not go CHEAP,do not go E-BAY(I don't care what anyone says E-bay is CRAP) and if you can find a person who flys in your area ask for help.All Heli pilots are brothers willing to help and if he does not then he is not worth messing with anyway would probably teach you wrong anyway.Use the market form here as an alternative to E-Bay every one that sells there is a reputable person as compared to E-bay and they are PILOTS not CROOKS!!!!!Also you need to decide where you want to fly with Nitro you need to join a flying field and with electrics you can fly in your back yard it is up to you but in any case what ever you do join the AMA it is a good organization to join and it is for RC so put out the money and join.
Last but not least there are some real good guys here and they have great advise so if you plan on coming here and asking for it I say listen to them they are not just talking to hear their heads rattle although I don't know about a couple of them!!!Good luck and I am sorry if I sound terse at times I am just a old grouch at times but my real friends here take me with a grain of salt.Well here I go back into the funny papers and will return when I am needed so I guess I won't be back SEE YA[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 04-08-2005, 01:56 PM
MonsterDad

Your advice is well taken. I have gone and looked at the Reflex and think that it would be a good system to get. I am just trying to keep from making any real costly mistakes and all your advice is helping.

What is a good radio to get for Helicopters? I was thinking a Futaba, but I am not sure. Any advice on that one. I will need one to run with Reflex and helis I buy in the future.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Futaba 9chps it is the one I have and you would not need another one and the super model is the top of the line in the 9C series of radios but there is the 9Z and the 14 MHZ radios but they have prices to match I believe the 14Mhz is going for around $2500.00 now.I got mine from tower but there are many places to get it at a fair price I spent $450.00 on mine.You will need a radio before you order reflex because you have to order the one where the cable matches your radio plug on the back of it the 9CHPS takes the square plug.I am sure other people will say other radios but I like Futaba had a Hitec Eclipse 7 but sold it and got the Futaba and my own preference is I don't like JR and Airtronics radios.The decision is yours you need to research the web find one you like and buy it that way you will be happy but get the radio before you buy reflex so you can order the correct plug.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:28 PM
DebianDog

I bought a 9CH Super Futaba for a more than fair price here:
http://servocity.com/html/9ch_super_systems.html
Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 PM
MonsterDad

Does it matter what channel I should order?
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
VinceHerman

Did someone say that they like Futaba transmitters?
3 of the guys from our "building night" informal club were not there, so we only had these 4 to show.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Moe3754
Banned

Vince what is the large Heli at the very end I recognize all but it????
Old 04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Ditto for the 9CH

Awesome radio. I'd have gotten the super version but of course they released it 2 months after I bought mine[>:]
Old 04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vince, I like that little tiny one. Does it really fly?

Monster, 9CHP, you won't find a better radio. I don't care how hard they argue, its the easiest to program and will do anything you ever want. I have programmed many, and I like it the best. Actually, I had just bought another radio, but I programmed one for a friend and picked up the phone and ordered one for me and sold the other one.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: Moe3754
Vince what is the large Heli at the very end I recognize all but it????
That is my Brother's Hirobo Shuttle.

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY
Vince, I like that little tiny one. Does it really fly?
Only if you throw it. It is made of Lego.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 AM
DebianDog

Does it matter what channel I should order?
Not really unless your ordering a receiver crystal, then they would need to match