Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
 Question on the XRB SR Lama >

Question on the XRB SR Lama

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Question on the XRB SR Lama

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on the XRB SR Lama

If the power switch is off, is there zero load on the battery? Can I leave the battery plugged in without fear of running down the battery?
I know that if I leave the heli on and the battery in, that the battery would go to zero and I would be buying a new battery. But I am very careful about powering down the aircraft, then powering down the transmitter (too much pain from doing it the wrong way). I just hate taking the canopy on and off every time I make a short flight.
Do I have to unplug the flight battery after every flight?

BTW, I LOVE the stability of this heli. It does exactly match the description that so many people have been giving it. This heli gives a newbie the best chance of success. It does teach control techniques used on bigger helis. It does have cyclic for pitch and roll. (which the blade runer style do not) It is flyable in VERY smnall spaces.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on the ZRB SR Lama

Shouldn't be a problem... I after it gets a full charge I always plug the battery back in and slap the canopy on so it's ready for flight at a moments notice... Never noticed any big drain on the battery or anything... In fact, if anything I'd say even the self-discharge rate of the lipos are barely noticable... Then again, my XRB usually doesn't sit around for too long before I'm forced (by the voices in my head) to go get it and fly her around a bit...

Old 04-13-2005, 10:16 AM

Just what I needed to hear. I think I am really going to hate giving this over to my Dad. I should have ordered 2.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:50 AM

LOL, they are addictive little suckers aren't they???
Old 04-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Question on the XRB SR Lama

I bought a little wire extention so I don't have to take the canopy off to unplug and charge it. The plug just hangs down outside the canopy. If you want I can dig up the adress where I bought it. It was about 6 bucks. Worth every penny to me.
I wouldn't wory about leaving the battery plugged in unless it is already drained too low to fly.
Donnie
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Yes, do send me the link. That way, I could consider using different batteries.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM

He also has some other cool stuff.
http://geocities.com/rickyblaze_rc/
Old 04-13-2005, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

If the power switch is off, is there zero load on the battery? Can I leave the battery plugged in without fear of running down the battery?
I know that if I leave the heli on and the battery in, that the battery would go to zero and I would be buying a new battery. But I am very careful about powering down the aircraft, then powering down the transmitter (too much pain from doing it the wrong way). I just hate taking the canopy on and off every time I make a short flight.
Do I have to unplug the flight battery after every flight?

BTW, I LOVE the stability of this heli. It does exactly match the description that so many people have been giving it. This heli gives a newbie the best chance of success. It does teach control techniques used on bigger helis. It does have cyclic for pitch and roll. (which the blade runer style do not) It is flyable in VERY smnall spaces.
Yes, I routinely leave my battery plugged in for days at a time if I'm not flying my XRB. I can then take it to my dining room, turn it on and fly out the rest of the battery. Like you, I always turn off my XRB before putting it up. As far as I can tell, when the switch is off, there is no perceptible drain on the battery.

The first time I did this was by accident. Somehow, I forgot to unplug the battery when I put it up on a Monday night. On Thursday I took it down and discovered the battery was still plugged in and started to panic. Thanks to the design engineers at Hirobo though, I needn't have worried. If your XRB is the same as mine, you have nothing to worry about.

RC_Lurker
Old 04-13-2005, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: rusirius

Shouldn't be a problem... I after it gets a full charge I always plug the battery back in and slap the canopy on so it's ready for flight at a moments notice... Never noticed any big drain on the battery or anything... In fact, if anything I'd say even the self-discharge rate of the lipos are barely noticable... Then again, my XRB usually doesn't sit around for too long before I'm forced (by the voices in my head) to go get it and fly her around a bit...
Yeah, I know what you mean. Do your voices constantly draw your attention to various types of bling for your helis? Mine does... I thought it was just me, but maybe these are 'Uber Voices'...