Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Replacing the Tail Boom on the GWS Mini DragonFly II

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Replacing the Tail Boom on the GWS Mini DragonFly II

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
treelander74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Tail Boom on the GWS Mini DragonFly II

Can anyone give me any advice on how to do this. Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 08:10 PM
clovus

Default RE: Replacing the Tail Boom on the GWS Mini DragonFly II

Is it just the boom or the rotors, motor and tail guard?

Mine was glued on and took some forcing to come apart.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 PM
treelander74

It's just the boom, I guess there is no getting around cutting the wires.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 PM
ultramag1234

un solder the wires off the tail motor then u can put it through the center where the mixing board goes.
its really tough to get the boom off i hade to cut mine then i slowly drilled it out with a drill press then i
i put the new one in with expoy fed the wires through the boom and put all the stuff back on ans soldered the wires to the motor.
Mike
Old 05-31-2005, 12:36 PM
TommyAZ

I just replaced the tail boom on mine after I repaired it temp. with the bic pen. If you only have one break you cut a pen lengthwise with a roto tool and slip it over the shaft and glue it.
It works pretty well until the "next time". What I found is that is is easier to cut the wires about an inch from the motor and make the solder joint there instead of at the motor. Also I used hot glue and only put it on the part where the boom meets the tail and the helicopter body (not inside). It holds well enough,But you can still get them apart for the "next time"
you have to replace it. And Yes it is hard to get the old one out. I just broke it apart and pulled the pieces out. watch out for the wires and good luck
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
andy98801

You have to basically split the carbon fiber around the base and pull it out with pliers, it is eaiser to cut the wires before the motor makes for an eaiser time gettin them back togather unless you have a steady hand. Later
Andy

gws fly x 2 , t-rex, shogun, elite 3d , hawk , raptor .30 , kyosho caliper
Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
npigg

My carbon boom was splintered and I just broke it off at the base. Ordered the aluminum boom "upgrade" off of Helihobby.com and the aluminum boom just slid right in. I guess it's outer diameter is smaller than the carbons inner diameter. The booms did not come with the mounting hardware that they said was supposed to come with it, so I just glued the sucker in there. First flight after the glue dried... crash! Boom had a nice arcing bend to it... I guess that's good though, if it were the carbon boom it might have shattered right then, but all I had to do was bend it back out and it's good as new. Had another wreck that took some bending to straighten the tail out but at least it's not shattering.