Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

heli feul

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Ross15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heli feul

Hi everyone

I am into flying fixed wing models and have flown my own model plus one at the club. Now thinking of also getting into helis and I wanted to know what sort of fuel and what nitro% is best recommended for the 30 size venture.
Any other input will be good too.

Ross
Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: heli feul

I run cool power 15 percent in mine with no problems.

With morgan fuels the airplane, heli and four stroke mixes are the same percentage of oil.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:40 AM
RotorNut

Some 30 size engines are only for use up to 15% nitro, while others will let you run up to 30%. In 30 sized helis I like to run the highest nitro percentage I can while staying inside the manufactures ratings (can be found in the engine manual). There are 2 reasons for this. 1: 30 size engines run very hot by nature. Running a higher nitro content you'll run richer so it'll help with cooling. 2: When your flying aerobatics with a 30 you need as much power you can get. The higher the nitro the more power you'll get. One other good thing to look for in a heli fuel is not only the oil content but the oil viscosity. Some fuels have the same percentage of oil in them but a different viscosity of oil going from airplane fuel to the same companies heli fuel. In that case you'll want to use the heli fuel. I have run CoolPower before and didn't like it and switched to Wildcat Heli mix. I'm not sure about the oil viscosity in Morgan fuels, but if you use Wildcat make sure to get the heli mix. It does have a different viscosity oil in it that helps cool your engine while not smoking like a chimney. Any fuel you get it's good to check on oil content and viscosity differences between the same companies airplane fuel to heli fuel. I wish I could tell more info about different brands, but I found one I like and stuck with it. I'm sure some other guys here can give you more info on other brands, or you can check out most of the companies web sites for more info.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will assume your engine is an O.S. .32. If you can afford glow fuel formulated for helicopter use in the 20% percent nitro range than do so. You will gain more power and a reliable idle. I for one do not reccomend this approach. IMO you would be better off purchasing a fuel with 10% nitro and a 18%-20% oil content. Presently I am running 10% Cool Power marketed for aircraft use. My O.S. .37 idles and transitions well with this fuel and so should yours.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Ross15

Thanks for replying to my query. In about a week I will have the venture and os-sxh, but right now I will follow up on your advice.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Ross15

I was wondering if any other fuelswould be ok like rc car fuel so long as it had the right percentage of oil, methane and nitro?

Old 06-10-2005, 09:41 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the same fuel in everything. 20% oil, 15% nitro, castor synthetic mix. Never had a problem with any of it. Works great. Helis, cars and planes. Don't run many cars, once in a great while.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
RotorNut

Some would be ok some won't. Some brands use different oil viscosity for different types of fuel, For example if you were to use Wildcat Premium Extra (airplane fuel) and put it in a 30 size heli the motor will overheat. This is because of the oil viscosity. With The Wildcat heli mix you won't have that problem. If you go to a store and look for 2-cycle oil (non glow engine) some brands have different kinds like "for air cooled engines", and "for water cooled engines". With either oil you can mix the same ratio (% oil content) , but if you use the oil for water cooled engines in an air cooled motor it going to overheat. All brands of nitro fuel are not like this. Some use the same oil in all their fuels, in that case it wouldn't matter which fuel you ran as long as it had the right oil content. But there are a lot of fuels that use different oil viscosity. Most fuel companies will have a web site where you can find this info. Hope this is a better explanation than my previous post.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Ross15

so I just need the basic things, 20% oil, 10-15% nitro, and methane? but does it half to be a synthetic mix or what?
I have a mix of fuel for a enya 15 and I think it has 10 % nitro, it was mixed by a club member who has been in the hobby for some time, would this be ok?