Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

im scared!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 AM
dan003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im scared!!!

hello all. i have just bought a venture 30 cp (my first heli) i have built it and the hobby store has looked at it. they say its all good. i also have a simulator and have been practicing for about a week now and i can hover etc. is there anything realy important i should know before i start the real thing ?????
Old 05-31-2005, 08:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: im scared!!!

A properly set up heli, IMO is easier to fly then the simulator.

Keep it low, and don't chop the collective, smoothly lower it if there is a problem.

And some clean underwear in the fieldbox would probably be a good idea.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:36 AM
misileman
My Feedback: (8)

Barracudahockey is absolutely right. Keep in mind to be patient with learning. Most beginner crashes are due to trying something that they're not ready for yet.

Once you get the hovering part down and are getting the heli higher, if something goes wrong, power and up collective will be used more than trying to bring the machine down. But if it's completely out of control, kill the engine (if possible) before it hits the ground.

Always think ahead before you try something new. Have a "safe" bailout of trouble plan. I always used this rule and have not crashed for quite a few years now and I've had some scarey moments.

Take your time and enjoy.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 PM
andy98801

Take Your Time when flying those nitro helis, the last thing you want to see is your heli smash into the ground because of your part at the sticks, stay low until youve mastered all types of hovering, tail in , side , and of course nose in i suggest you get real good at these on the sim first before you try it, after you can do that foward flight and all the 3d stuff in pretty easy, remeber keep in low and keep it calm at first or you shall pay the price. good luck Later
Andy

raptor, hawk, shogun , elite , trex, dragonfly
Old 05-31-2005, 11:35 PM
darthdrk

Install some training gear and dont rush anything and practice away from people. Try to get someone with experience to help you out. A 30 size can be very dangerous in the hands of a new person not just for others but yourself also.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:51 AM
dan003

thank you very much for ur reply guys. im flying it this thursday [X(] and hope it goes good. i have training gear so that should add security. after ive flown with a pro (which im doing) do u think it is a reasonable idea to attempt hovering in my back yard. i realy want to u see
Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM
darthdrk

depends how big your backyard is and how safe it will be for people(you) and property. If it is a small back yard such as less than a 1/4 acre youd have to be extremely careful and probably only hover up a couple of feet. My thinking is if something was to go wrong, will you have reaction time to cut throttle so it would not cause any damage to persons or property. A bigger heli the size you have Id venture to a nearby park when no one is around just to be on the safe side. These things can be deadly.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:28 PM
dan003

ok. so its not illeagal to fly my venure at a local park? when u say cut the throttle do u mean bring it down on the stick or press the engine cut button on the transmitter. if so wouldnt that make it hit the ground. or would it just sort of float down. ive never seen a real one in use before.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:12 PM
darthdrk

Myself, Im thinking that at the chance of someone getting injured or damaging someones property, I'd stuff it into the ground. I had to put a heli in once because of people, kids came from outta no where at a neighborhood park. I can always get another chopper but, if you wack a kid or tear up someones personal property or even at the risk of causing yourself some personal injury, forget landing it softly. As a norm, if a heli that big hits you or someone else, its almost a gaurantee trip to the emergency room. Those blades just arent that forgiving. They have and can claim fingers, eyes, and chunks of flesh and you even hear of them claiming a life once in a while. These really arent toys as some would suppose they are. you'd have to live with yourself if you accidentally hit someone with one of these. I dont think is illegal to fly at a park but i dont think its practical either. where ever people and property are around,theres always that chance. If you ever notice where flying fields are situated, they are usually away from a populated area and personal and private property except those that are partaking in the hobby. Saftey is the real issue here. I would not fly a 30 size heli except for in a place that is very spacey and open or if its small, it has to be secluded surrounded by mabey some tall trees. Thats just me. There will most likely be a lawsuit if you injure someone or damage someones property.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
darthdrk

here read some of these: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t60928p1/
http://runryder.com/helicopter/t54491p3/
Old 06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Jeff 14912

If you haven't purchased training gear yet, get some. It spreads the surface area of your gear so it's much harder for a dynamic roll-over and it absorbs A LOT of impact if you do happen to dump the collective. When I started flying, I reamed out the hole in each ball that the fiberglass poles go through so that each ball rolled freely. Don't try to hover or even pick the heli off the ground your first few times. Pull just enough collective to get the heli light on the skids/training gear and see how it reacts. Use the first flight to make sure all of your pitch links are adjusted properly. The settings suggested by the instructions are only a starting point. Each helicopter is different based on weight and center-of-gravity differences. If you are puting excessive trim into your TX to compensate, then consider adjusting the links on the heli to rectify the problem. Once you have the adjustments dialed in, then continue flying light on the skids until you can keep the heli where you want it and you are comfortable with keeping it in one spot while still on the ground. After you have that down, then start lifting off just a few inches. See how well you can keep the LOW hover. Any sign of it getting squirly, set her down and start again. With lots of patience and practice you'll be flying well in no time.

Remember - PATIENCE!!! and keep on that simulator. It will really come in handy when its time to practice nose-in hovering.

GOOD LUCK