Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

The next buy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 AM
floatyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The next buy!

Hi guys, I have a honey bee2 which i really like flying. I have been into the hobby now for 6 months. What advice i would like is this. What should i get next. I'm really not sure. I think i would like an assemble heli for a start. Something thats a little more stable during hover. I was looking at a trex but i'm not sure about how well it would fly in a light breeze for example. Maybe a nitro like a raptor.30. I found the hb2 good for a fly around inside. But its **** outside. So if i go for something out side should it be alot bigger, maybe the trex would be a bit light.

Any advice would be much welcome . thanks[8D]
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Charlie

Default RE: The next buy!

If your looking for something to fly outside, I wouldn't go with anything smaller the a 30 size heli. The stability of a 30 size heli will be like night and day compared to your Honey Bee.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T-Rex flies in wind that most of the fixed wing nitro pilots at our club are grounded in.

Dad (ex navy pilot) says that the windsock tells us that we had more than 15 knots of wind.
There is no doubt that a 30 sized nitro bird will be more stable. If you have access to a club flying field, or have no neighbors, that would be a fantastic way to go.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

raptor 30 comes built with engine. Its a good heli, very stable and flys well in the wind once you learn to fly it. It would be a good choice, as would the rex.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
WhtBronco

Yeap a 30 size heli gets my vote, or better yet a 50 size. My Raptor 50 V2 is basically a Raptor 30 with longer main blades, a longer tail boom and a bigger engine. I have found the heli to be very stable in gusty winds up to 20 mph. In fact it was easier to fly than my profile planes in that wind. I'll fly in winds of 25 or less though. Under 5 mph winds the heli doesn't even seem to notice and under 10 is no problem to deal with. Once you hit 15 mph winds it starts to get blown around a bit, but not that bad IMO.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
floatyboy

It sounds like my 5 months of honey bee2 training will pay of then. I no, no different about these helis as I have only owned the hb2. My dad said by looking at it "You MAY" fly it one day. at that point i don't think he thought i would get off the ground. I look forward to buying and building my own nitro soon. thanks guys[8D]
Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Here's my suggestions in order of price and preference (highest first):
1) Raptor 50V2
2) Raptor 30V2
3) JR Venture 30 CP
4) Century Hawk

I've got the Raptor 50V2 and the JR Venture 30 CP... but from what I've heard, the Century Hawk is a decent bargain priced nitro heli...