Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

little quickie 8

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:17 PM
tvhelidad
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little quickie 8

I been thinking about getting the a quick heli (electric) from hobbies and hellis. Does anybody know if I can use ni mah insted of the li pos just to keep the cost down? Or do I have to use the lo po battery. Also does everything run off that main battery? servos receiver,gyro?? [8D]
Old 07-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Charlie

Default RE: little quickie 8

The problem with Nicad or NiMh is the weight, you want to keep an electric as light as you can, plus flight time, you won't get the flight time out of them like you will with a lithium.
Also does everything run off that main battery? servos receiver,gyro??
Yes
Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 AM
tvhelidad

OK Thanks, I start saving my money. probably by the end of the summer . Thanks again
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

IMO, for the larger helis it's still most cost effective to stick with nitro. If you amortize the LiPo batt cost over the batt lifetime, you don't come out ahead. The only reason to go electric with the larger birds, IMO, is to reap the benefits of lower noise and no cleanup.

The only place I feel I can safely fly large helis is at my AMA chartered club, and nitro noise and cleanup is not much of a factor for me there...

As far as Quick goes... he does make what looks like pretty good quality helis (lots of CF and aluminum parts on them, for sure)... but I'd worry about sourcing parts for them. Quick is the only source for parts. If you go with Raptor, JR, or other mainstream brand, there are several aftermarket parts sources for those helis... and you have the choice of ordering them from several online stores to get the best price and availability.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
tvhelidad

Thanks and your probably right. Just thought that it would be a little more gentle on the flying side with less pwr. HH and Irv is sometimes rough to take. I've been going there for a long time off and on. I get sick of it and sell everything and then start over. Kinda getting expensive to keep doing this. This time I'm in for good.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

Hi,
I have been looking at the quik e-heli's too. look on the web site quickheli.com and there is a chart there. I think all but one e-heli can use both types of battery. I was looking at the sweet-16 myself. I haven't heard much about them either. But it looks like you get all the upgrades right out of the box for right at $400 for a pro (cf/all metal) kit. There are a lot of new e-heli's coming out, but they all need upgraded this or that before they are airworthy. It looks like the quick may be a little heavy, but that is good for me for wind penetration. That was my theory with the Trex be a bit heavier, and it works well with the 420LF/35amp Align set up. Align makes real nice stuff and I wish they would come out with a mid sized heli soon. There is the Ikarus Viper series, they look very nice. MS is coming out with mid sized helis (made for them by Ikarus) for $219.00 you can order a century swift. It looks sweet for the money.
I was looking at the logo carbon 3D, and for a little less I can get the quick sweet 16. Has anyone flown a quick e-heli? I love nitro, but for heli's it has to be electric for flying in the field out back in the wee hours. It is light out 24/7 here now, it just gets a little dim about 3am. But it stays dark in the winter. Arctic life is great! shipping is rough though.
Thank you kindly,
Jay
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 PM
tvhelidad

Well I added up the costs and it will be $450 more for electric to get in the air then for a nitro heli. I have read some posts about batteries not having enough pwr and at $200 or more bucks for a lo-po battery thats to risky for me. I am staying with nitro for now untill electrics come down. I would like to get into the air by the end of the summer. I have to save for the heli. I already got my radio and servos and gyro and field stuff....