Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Honeybee CP2 brushless upgade?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Honeybee CP2 brushless upgade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:41 PM
gmair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honeybee CP2 brushless upgade?

I just purchased a brushless upgrade for my honeybee CP2 (Himax 2015/4100 & Pheonix 10C ESC)
I have a couple of questions:
1) Do I need to replace the tail motor with a brushless one
2) Is the replacement of the ESC pretty straight forward, is the ESC inside the 4in1 control box
3) Do I need to buy any additional connectors
Thanks,
Old 07-19-2005, 03:43 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Honeybee CP2 brushless upgade?

I have a Blade with a fried 4-in-1 box, and I'm considering a brushless conversion with separates for it, so I've been looking into some of these issues myself...

The ESC is built into the 4-in-1, but is sounds like it is on a separate board with the mixer, gyro, and tail ESC. Connecting an external ESC to the 4-in-1 box is not straight forward, as I understand it. You need to break open the box to get at the RX connectors to the ESC/gyro/mixer board. Sounds like you can basically push the pins for that RX channel through the receiver board (by heating them with a soldering iron), so that they come out the top (instead of plugging into the ESC/gyro/mixer board on the bottom) where you'd have access to them to plug in the external ESC's connector. I believe you also have to trim away the plastic above that RX channel on the 4-in-1 box.

The trick with the 4-in-one box is how to separate out the main ESC without loosing the revo mixing! If you remove the RX throttle signal from the ESC/Mixer/gyro board, you will loose revo mixing (throttle-rudder mixing), so you'll probably need both the internal and external ESCs connected to the throttle channel, which means you should probably clip the positive lead on the external ESC if it is a BEC ESC... like I said, not real straight forward!

You don't have to go brushless with the tail, but it sounds like brushed tail motors burn out pretty quick for most people, so it may be cheaper in the long run to do it. You may need to at least upgrade your brushed tail motor if the stocker can't counter the torque of your new brushless main motor, though.

Look at HeliHobby's page on going with separates...
http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html

They show examples of using separate components for brushed and brushless setups... although their brushless setup uses a brushed tail motor.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
gmair

Default RE: Honeybee CP2 brushless upgade?

Thanks,
Not exactly plug and play like I thought! I've read about problems with tail motor burn out. I was also considering the dual tail motor conversion at Helihobby.
Thanks for the info.