Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Whats the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
WackoWasko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the diff?

Whats the difference between getting a co-axial heli or getting a single blade one? I dont kno if I should get a Dragonfly 22e rtf or a co-axial heli (still havent decided which one)I need help.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 AM
deli_conker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats the diff?

A single blade copter requires a tail rotor to offset the torque created by the single blade spinning at high speeds.
The double blade copter has one set of blades turning clockwise and the other turning counter-clockwise to offset the torque.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:00 AM
VinceHerman

If you are going to get a co-axial heli, get the Hirobo XRB Sr Lama. $300, but it is an excedingly stable indoor flyer. Great way to get an instant win with helis, and also useful for learning nose in orientation.
On the down side, it is somewhat toyish compared to the more fully featured single rotor helis.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:46 AM
WackoWasko

Are there any handling probs with the single blade? There alot cheaper than the coaxials
Old 07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
VinceHerman

Not necessarily handling problems. No electric indoor single rotor heli is anywhere near as stable as the XRB SR Lama. But the Lama is limited in it's capabilities. It has NO fast forward flight. It cannot handle ANY wind outdoors. More typical heli models like the Piccolo, Hummingbird, Blade and others are much less stable than the Lama. They require you to fly them actively. The are twitchy, and have a very steep learning curve. And OH so rewarding when you do conquer the hover.