Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Sawdust48.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

I am a newbe with about 8 tanks thru heli. A raptor 30 V1 with a TT36 engine. Yesterday when I iniatially started the engine, it ran good with a little vibration at the tail rotor. To me this indicated the low end needed to be leaned out. (idle screw in??). I leaned it 1/8 of a turn to 1-1/8 out.
Heli wouldn't start. I let her cool down for about an hour and she started right up. A little less vibration at the tail rotor. Burned that tank of fuel.
Once again she wouldn't start. Let her cool for an hour and she started right up. All this was done with a new #8 glow plug.
Any ideas??
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Emails are welcome.
[email protected]
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Starting problems

ORIGINAL: Sawdust48.5

IAny ideas??
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
[email protected]
Get an OS37
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Sawdust48.5

Come on now. I came to this site (no name of the other site I used to go to) to get away from the sarcastic remarks. I'm sure you like the os37 and others like the tt39 etc etc. Butt my question pertains to the tt36
Let's keep this site on an intelligent level!!!
Thanks for any replies.

Dennis
Sachse, Tx
Old 07-29-2005, 08:30 PM
BarracudaHockey

Then richen the low end back up your probably starved it.

I don't sell these things but I have been around r/c helis since the days of American R/C and I've helped alot of people.

Most, in the 90 + percent range of OS engines can be broken in and tuned with very little fan fare.

Half of the TT engines I run into need endless messing with to get them to run right in helicopters. It sounds like your running into a classic problem with your TT that will probably require replacing the conrod and maybe piston to fix.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:10 PM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

I can relate to this story. Just last weekend I was at our field and I just got a rappy 50 with a 50 sxh. Another gentleman showed up with a rappy 50 with the thunder tiger 50 in it. we were shooting the breeze and I told him that i got the package for about $50 more than the stock setup. After about 3-4 flights on mine I walk over to him and he is fiddleing with the engine and I say whats wrong and he says my engine died while in a hover. after closer examination the con rod had elongated and sent pieces of it through the bearings and engine. he had less than 2 tanks through it. I have about 6 years flying fixed wing and I am very demanding on my engines. there are three engines I trust Y.S., O.S. and D.A. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this but when you leaned out the low end did you richen up the high speed needle? this can cause an overly lean run. the best thing you can do is run that any way you can and get some time on it to break it in. Keeping that engine on the rich side will never hurt as long as you can keep it running. also if the high speed needle seemed unresponsive then try removeing it and flush the carb out there could be some debrie in the needle valve. air leakage could also be causeing the problem. slide a piece of fuel tubeing over the needle valve to make a good seal. try that and let us know how it works.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 PM
hellofacopter

If the engine won't start when its warm, then it is way to lean. You need to richen it back up. It should start easier when its warm.

I've heard nothing but problems with the TT engines. When you can afford it, get an OS. I have the OS 50 Hyper and it fires up the first time I put the starter to it, Hot or Cold. I never have to make needle adjustments accept for weather changes.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Sawdust48.5

hey thanks for the replies. I really appreciate them.
Butt now I feel like a fool. I replaced the low end needle this evening because my flight trainer at RRCC said my needle was too loose. After running a tank of fuel we discovered the low end needle had screwed itself out as much as 2-1/2 turns. I was reading the package the needle came in. That's when I realized that my engine in not a tt 36 butt a pro 36h. Any feedback on this engine and tips about tuning the carb will be greatly appreciated.
What is a con rod and on what part of the heli is it located? I made the mistake of buying ARF.
So I have alot to learn about my heli. Maybe I'll tear it down and reassemble it this winter!
Will an os 50 fit in a raptor 30?

After reading the replies, I realize that barracuda hockey was not being sarcastic. Again, thanks for the replies. This site is so much better than the other one I used to go to!!
Dennis
Sachse, Tx
Old 07-30-2005, 07:53 AM
BarracudaHockey

The 50 and the 30 are the same with a few exceptions.

You need different gearing to get the 50 into its power band, a longer boom, belt and blades to take advantage of the power.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:51 AM
captainpitts-RCU
My Feedback: (24)

the conversion kit for the 50 is about 120 dollars but then you also need to buy an engine so there is another 150 dollars. I would, that is if you are wanting to change it, get an o.s. 37 you will love this engine and you will only have about half of the cost of upgrading to a fifty. The conecting rod is the part of the engine that goes from the crank shaft to the piston. One other option is to get a new carb for the engine. Back when they still made the 36's people were putting o.s. 46 carbs on them and this was solveing the fuel metering problems but you still had the other engine issues. I can't tell you what carb it was as it has been quite a while ago. you could maybe do a search and find out. I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:36 AM
Sawdust48.5

[quote]ORIGINAL: captainpitts-RCU

the conversion kit for the 50 is about 120 dollars but then you also need to buy an engine so there is another 150 dollars. I would, that is if you are wanting to change it, get an o.s. 37 you will love this engine and you will only have about half of the cost of upgrading to a fifty. The conecting rod is the part of the engine that goes from the crank shaft to the piston. One other option is to get a new carb for the engine. Back when they still made the 36's people were putting o.s. 46 carbs on them and this was solving the fuel metering problems but you still had the other engine issues. I can't tell you what carb it was as it has been quite a while ago. you could maybe do a search and find out. I hope this helps.

Once again thanks for the replies! I should have known what a con rod was. I didn't recognize the wording as shorthand
Now that I have cleared the air about my engine being a Pro36H and not at TT36, was the pro36H a less than desireable engine?