Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

DragonFly #4 Hop Up Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

DragonFly #4 Hop Up Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 AM
markjtnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DragonFly #4 Hop Up Questions

I have a generic ebay special Dragonfly #4 which i've had now for a month. After working out how to correctly balance the chopper I have found her to be a great little flier and have decided to modify her a bit before I look at a replacement.

I have ordered a 370 main motor along with some Like90 blades as I have seen people have had some very impressive results. I have also replaced the standard tail motor housing with the unit with the built in fin (too many tail landings) and I am starting to adapt this to run two motors.

The chopper has all the standard 4in 1 gear but I don't want to replace it yet as it works. However I was wondering if replacing the servos with some 5g units was worthwhile or just a waste of cash? I have also considered upgrading to Lipo but I am unsure wether I need a 2 or 3 cell pack? Is either configuration going to be a strain on the standard ESC with the bigger motor?

This is the video I saw of the Dragonfly. I'm sure most people have seen it but just in case:
[link=http://www.omp.com.au/videos/Dragonfly%20Hop-Up.wmv]Dragonfly Hop Up Video[/link]
Old 08-01-2005, 12:47 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: DragonFly #4 Hop Up Questions

Replacing the servos will probably be worthwhile, as the Walkera ones are pretty much junk.

Going LIPO will make a pretty big difference in flight performance. I would only go with a 2 cell (7.4 V) Lipo. Some people DO you use 3 cell, (11.1 volts) but it's a real gamble. Some of the 4in1 boxes can take it, some can't. I've had 4in1's burn up from just the standard 7.4 voltage. At 11 volts, you will also burn out the main and tail motors much quicker. I am using a Mabuchi 370 (I think it's a 370 anyways) from a GWS copter, and it's working OK with the 4in1 box, it gets a bit warm, but has not caused any problems in all the time i've had it.

Like90 blades are supposed to be great from what others have said, i've never used them my self so I can't comment .

Putting the tail into a direct drive mode is also another popular upgrade, though i'm not so sure the 4in1 works so well with them, as you will get ocassional tail hunting with the direct drive system, but you definately get more accurate tail control
Old 08-01-2005, 02:11 PM
markjtnet

Default RE: DragonFly #4 Hop Up Questions

Thanks for the reply. I have found a cheap Lipo setup so i'll probably get it the next time I need spares. Going to fit a low batt alert as well so I don't lose the chopper/battery.