Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Quick weight question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Polerite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick weight question

I have a question about gas powered Heli's. What kind of weight can they carry. This question might come across as if I want to make drug runs, BUT NO. The reason I'm asking is I would like to put a large video camera on one, for filming. I just was wondering if the heli's can only carry a small load, or you can get ones (or modify) to make them carry large loads. Plus do most of the Heli's come with room in the body to add larger Receiver and any extra devices I may need. Thank you in advance for the information anyone can provide on this topic.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM
sparkling_fist

Default RE: Quick weight question

im sure gas helis can support alot of weight....
obviously the smaller helis can take less weight..

a 90 size heli is sure to carry whatever camera you want..
but you might need to make adjustments to place the camera itself
Old 08-11-2005, 04:01 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can start looking at Aerial Photography and Aerial Videography pages.
There is a forum for that over here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128
And here: http://runryder.com/helicopter/f25p1/
If anyone knows of a forum on this board, please post it. I could not find it with a quick search.

Now, about your plans. I think that you should separate your tasks into two pieces. First, learn to fly a RC helicopter. Secondly, add videography to that hobby. It is hard to do it the other way around. Flying a RC heli is a very challanging task to learn. You would be best served by investing in a good sim, a decent transmitter and, I would think, a beginner nitro heli. (Normally, I recommend starting electric, but if your stated goal is bigger birds, then Nitro is what you want)

What is your budget like?
Are you aware that there are tiny cameras that fit on the smaller helis as well? Granted, they do not have the high quality that better video equipment will provide, but I do not know your ultimate use for the footage.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:39 AM
Polerite

Thanks guys, and yes I do agree that I need to learn to fly one before I throw my equiptment on it. And I have looked into the small camera's but the quality is very poor compared to my company's equiptment. I think I'm going to look a lot more into this before I jump into anything. But anymore ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Charlie

If your looking to build a good camera ship, your looking at a lot of money. If your looking for a "cheap" way of doing it, this is how it's done.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Polerite

Hey Charlie, isn't the raptor used for arobatics and would it be easier or harder to get a steady shot? (see I don't really know much on this topic at all) I see you have built an addon to the skids, does the camera and your new skids add alot in the way of weight, and is it noticable? So everyone seems to be on the same page here> GO CHEEP <. Well I think my buget can handle that. Another stupid question then I'm done, if you mount your camera onto the Raptor (in this case) can you transmit the signal from the camera mounted on the heli to a home base computer (via wireless) on the ground, That the key here. I do audio and video engineering and this idea I have for the use of a RC helicopter would work wonders. IF IT WORKS. Thanks your your feed back.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Search the web for what some other guys have done for camera ships... I've seen some setups where the camera pod is gyro-stabilized... makes for much more steady pictures.

I know a very large RC chopper was used to film a motion picture shot already... "Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius" I believe... to get a golf-ball's eye view of a golf shot, looking back at the player. I think it was much larger than the hobby-type RC helis, though... it looked more like one of those Yamaha RMAX giants that are used for crop dusting, etc. (see link below). Those things cost a small fortune, but are supposedly very simple to fly... sounds like they have multi axis gyro stabilization and an on board computer that helps you fly it!

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global...eup/index.html

You definitely have a lot to learn... get some books on RC helis (Ray's Authoritative Helicopter Manual is very good) and do some research on the web... get a good RC flight simulator (RealFlight G3, Reflex, Aerofly Pro, etc.) and start learning to hover. RealFlight comes with a controller, so you can buy that and start learning on it llong before you decide which radio you want to spend $$$$ on... I'm not sure about the others. And lastly, research the heck out of what others have done, and figure out what your needs are for the heli, camera equipment, etc.