Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

first heli

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
snopro440
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first heli

Hi i want a good micro heli that is rtf but remeber this is my first heli
Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Charlie

Default RE: first heli

i want a good micro heli
My personal opinion, there is no such thing as a "good" micro heli. They all have their problems and they are very unstable. All you can do is lots of research, find one you like and buy it and "when" you have problems, fix it and go fly.

I have a hummingbird and after sinking a bunch of money into it I finally got it to fly pretty good, but trust me, that was the first and last micro heli I will ever own. Their are some people out there that have pretty good luck with micro helis, but from what I have read, a lot of people don't and I'm one of them.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
RC RAC3R

ORIGINAL: Charlie

i want a good micro heli
My personal opinion, there is no such thing as a "good" micro heli. They all have their problems and they are very unstable. All you can do is lots of research, find one you like and buy it and "when" you have problems, fix it and go fly.

I have a hummingbird and after sinking a bunch of money into it I finally got it to fly pretty good, but trust me, that was the first and last micro heli I will ever own. Their are some people out there that have pretty good luck with micro helis, but from what I have read, a lot of people don't and I'm one of them.
I agree... If you are going to get a micro heli, get one with a belt driven or shaft driven tail rotor... the motorized tail rotor has issues... the motors die or dont put out enough power.... thats my problem with my hummingbird...

so now im looking into the new century swift, or T-Rex 450X... something 3d capable...
maybe even a hornet x3d or hummingbird elite 3d pro
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Blade CP (micro CP heli with motor driven FP tail), a Shogun 400 (micro CP heli with shaft driven CP tail), a .30 size nitro heli, and a .50 size nitro heli...

I learned on the largest of these... the .50 size nitro heli. This is by far the easiest heli to fly and to learn on... it was also my first heli! This is no coincidence... I asked questions and did some research here in the RCU forums, and based on that feedback I started with the .50 size nitro.

The next easiest to fly (after the .30 and .50 nitros) is the Shogun 400... the CP tail is much more responsive than a motor driven FP tail, and if you get a heading hold gyro, it makes it even easier to fly. The hardest of these is the Blade CP... it has a rate gyro (not heading-hold) and the tail is not nearly as responsive... consequently you always have to fly the tail to some extent.

If I had to learn on a micro electric, I'd go for a Shogun or T-REX (or similar) heli (CP main rotor with a driven CP tail). It will cost you about twice as much initially, but it will be much easier to fly, and you will probably crash it less! The Blade is cheaper, but you'll probably crash it more, and end up paying almost as much, if you don't get fed-up and quit the hobby before then!

Let's not even talk about FP micro helis... I think I'd just quit and fly planes if I had to learn on one of those... I still can't even hover a FP heli!

Just my $0.02 based on my experience with these helis....
Old 08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
woosh
My Feedback: (1)

What Charlie said, ditch the micro heli idea and get a 30 or 50 size nitro. I have a Raptor 50 and a T-Rex, and there is no comparison which one is easier to fly. The Raptor is much more forgiving than the T-Rex.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:24 AM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: woosh

What Charlie said, ditch the micro heli idea and get a 30 or 50 size nitro. I have a Raptor 50 and a T-Rex, and there is no comparison which one is easier to fly. The Raptor is much more forgiving than the T-Rex.
Word! The Tiger 50 has a better setup manual than the Raptor and is a bit cheaper plus eCCPM. It is a good flying bird too. Slaps together in a few hours.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Dezynco

I'm a beginner too, and I say stay away from the micro heli's. I started with a Piccolo and didn't have much luck, broke lots of parts. I bought an Eco 8 and was successfully hovering in one flight! It is SO MUCH easier to fly!!!! It's not a huge helicopter either, fits nicely in the trunk of the car....

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 PM
gway17

I've tried a couple of cheap micros and now my blade has been in for repair for 2wks after 2 short flights.
I wondered about a larger, better unit and all of these comments support those thoughts.

Thanks to all !