Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
dnasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to begin?

I have been racing nitro RC for about 8 years. i recently bought my first heli, honey bee FP. Can some one please help me on starting off. I have no idea what the controls do. can some one please get me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 08:47 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: where to begin?

Buy a helicopter simulator
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Sawdust48.5

I agree. Reflex and Realflight are 2 good simulators.
Crash your heli..$$$$$$
Crash on simulator... Hit the space bar to reset and try again and again and again and...............
The club I recently joined wouldn't even talk to me about assigning me a trainer for my raptor 30 till I had at least 90 hrs on sim.
I have 15 tanks thru heli and no crashes.....YET!!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-20-2005, 11:18 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Amen, Brothers!!! I totally agree with the two guys above!!!

Start with a simulator... get one that comes with a controller, like RealFlight G3, so you don't have to shell out $$$$ yet on a good heli TX. For about $200, you'll get a good sim and an controller, and you'll see if you really want to fly a heli, before you shell out $1000+ on a good heli and radio equipment. If you decide you don't like helis, you can sell the sim on Ebay and recover most of you're money... if you decide you do like helis... you've just saved yourself more than $200 in crash rebuild costs!

I spent a week with my sim (~ 8hrs of sim time, total) before I bought my heli and radio. I found out it was much harder than I ever imagined, but it was challenging and fun! Now I've got four helis and I'm completely addicted... (you've been warned, addiction will follow )...
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Sawdust48.5

I bought my real flight g2 with 4 upgrade discs off ebay for $150.00 including s/h. Since G3 came out there are alot more g2's on ebay.
I know version 3 is supposed to have better graphics, Butt g2 does a nice job!!
Be aware that realflight is a bit demanding on your computer. If you get realflight and want to hook up your radio just use the supplied patch cord. However you MUST either extend the thick part of your antenna at least 18" or remove the transmitter module from the back of your radio. If you don't you will blow the module.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:56 PM
-pkh-

I just use the USB controller... I don't care to screw around with hooking up my Futaba 9C and running my batts down to use the sim. I modified the USB controller's throttle ratchet to be smooth, like my heli radio's... feels close enough to my 9C for me. To modify the rachet on the Futaba type transmitter/controllers, take the back off and just flip the metal ratchet tab upside down. I've heard that you can also put a piece of fuel tubing on it to get the heli-radio feel... smooth but with some resistance.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:42 PM
credence

A method that has worked well for me is sanding down the notches on the controller drum, then sticking some electrical tape over the tab to help create some resistance. Done it for 3 different transmitters and it works great on all of them, and allows me to apply just the right ammount of pressure.