Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Starting a club advice please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Starting a club advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Lee G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a club advice please

My friend has given me permision to fly on a bit of land he owns and not wanting to be a billy no mates, Im thinking of geting a private club going there.
I allso know there are a few members from the club I belong to read this forum and I have no intention of taking any of their members etc.

There are two ways of aproaching the use of the land.
1 get every person who flys there issued with a permision to fly letter from the land owner, cover his hand with beer tokens approach. And limit the amout of people given use.
2 Start a proper club, insurance etc etc.

The land is in a big open field. He was one of those people who jumped at the buy a plot of land in the hope of geting planing permision in the next 200 years schemes. Its farming land, no fences, structures etc allowed. We still have to do a survey of the area, foot pathes, close buildings, access and airport approaches. But the road its on is a dead end and at least half a mile from any majour trunk roads.

Just to add fun to it, the owner is allso a heath and safty advisor for a council, so every thing propsed to him has to be water tight and exclude all liabilty from him..

Tips and advice please.
Any working methods from other clubs would allso be handy.
I hope this post is in the right section.

Lee

Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Ahab

Default RE: Starting a club advice please

Lee - slightly off topic.
As you are a Brit who apparently flys, you can answer a question that has been bugging me (hopefuly)

Are there any laws in the UK with regard to flying RC? - I ask because I overheard a conversation in my LHS among some heli flyers who were talking about how this and that is illegal now...

if I have to join a club to be legal then I doubt I will persue the flying thing - I dont want to have to endure the "healthy social aspect" that all FAQ's say is such a big part of flying RC.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Lee G

Default RE: Starting a club advice please

Heres your first port of call

http://www.bmfa.org/

On there somewhere are the regs involved in flying helis
Clubs dont seem overly bad on pricing. It works out about £5 a month to use their grounds, insurance and club joining fees on top.
I found the club that I joined through the site, plus the indoor club was word of mouth down the local hobby store.
The land I have permision to fly on is a friends. But I intend to check that it falls within the guidelines before useing it.
You cant use public spaces as far as Im aware. Turning upto your local park with a nitro is an absolute nogo.
Some people prefer electric helis, purly because of the sound levels. If they are flying somewhere secluded they wont bring attention to themselves.

I have been in the shooting comunity in the uk for many years and geting into rc is a lot easier than owning a gun and finding some where to shoot. For every gun club there are about ten flying clubs and even less off road rc car clubs.

It is not as hard as it first sounds when people mention joining clubs etc. The hardest thing is learning to fly the damn things

Good Luck Lee